[Then why did you do it - Part 3] JJ

Can we really go back to lovebirds?

As the water fight stopped we all climbed back onto the boat and split into conversations of our own, as I was gazing out onto the marsh Kie came and sat down next to me.

"So you got my queue. What'd you two talk about?"

I turned my head around to see JJ laughing with John B and Pope by the steering wheel. "I told him that I still loved him, but I can't just forgive him. Not after the hurt he caused me. Then he told me he loved me, but we got interrupted from John B."

"So you still need to finish the conversation?"

"Yeah. Don't want to. But if I want to talk to him again, normally, it needs to happen."

"Then do it when we get back. I'll ask the boys to give you some space." Kiara said as she got up and walked over to them.

*****

When we got back to the chateau I was sitting on the hammock trying to process how to talk to JJ, until he started it for me.

"Can I sit?" He said looking down at the hammock.

"Huh, that brikes deja vu don't it?" I laughed moving up.

"Yeah but you let me sit next to you this time. Last time you ignored me."

"You deserved it." I said bluntly as the memory came back to me about him and Danielle.

"Kiara told me - well urged me - to come over so we could talk. I really want to talk, but I don't know where to start." JJ said looking at the marsh.

"Well why don't you start by telling me why you broke up with me? Especially why so suddenly?"

He sighed and looked back at me. "Because we were too perfect. The way we live, my home life, just my life in general nothing deserves to be perfect. And what I had with you stood out like a sore thumb." JJ moved his hand slightly to mine but I pretended not to notice it.

"I was, no am, completely in love with you. I couldn't think of any place I'd rather be than with you, that's why we needed to break up. Because I was in love with you so much, and to be honest, I thought I was going mental because I've never been in love. Everything before - "

I put my lips to his mouth to shut him up. "I love this whole romantic speech going on and you confessing you love me, but if you broke up with me because we're too perfect why didn't you say?"

"Because you'd think I'm mental. You have a perfect life..."
"For a pogue." I added

"No but you do. You've got a nice family, an amazing dog and you only need one job. Plus you just got a new surfboard and way better at surfing then I am." JJ said poking my legs.

"Well I didn't want to admit it." I said flicking my hair. "But my life isn't perfect. Amelia died the day you saw me at the beach. And I was thinking about you all the time - my mind literally made a hallucination about you talking to me." I laughed.

"Good thing it wasn't just me then."

I looked over at him and smiled at him as he leaned into me. "Y/n..." I kissed him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders. I missed him. Just as he was about to bring me onto his lap "No, no, no we're gonna - " the hammock flipped over "end up flipping the hammock over." I laughed.

"Forgot about that." JJ said helping me up to my feet.

"Considering the amount of times it's happened I would've thought it was common sense."

We both stood up looking at each other in silence. "So what do we do now?" JJ asked me holding my hand.

"We take it slow. We're not going to go back to the perfect couple - just yet. But now we're civil and aware that we're still in love. No labels just lovebirds."

"Uhh, so like John B said. But it's lovebirds a label?" JJ asked me as we walked back to the chateau.

"Do you want us to get back together or not?" I asked kissing him on the cheek.

"Okay fine. We'll be middle school lovebirds."