Prologue

A fourteen-year-old girl jumped on her brother, making him stumble as soon as he entered the house. The kids' father held them protectively, breaking the fall.

"Princess dheere beta, abhi lag jati dono ko!" said the father.

The girl smiled sheepishly, snuggling closer to her brother. "You missed me?" she asked, looking up at him while still hugging.

The boy smiled and kissed her forehead. "Yeh bhi koi puchne ki baat hai. Apni Princess ko main kaise miss nahi karunga."

Sam pulled back and pouted. "Toh phir call kyu nahi kiya? Aapko pata hai, I was waiting for your call for the last six months, Bhaiya!" she complained cutely. "Mujhe aapse baat he nahi karni." She huffed, crossed her arms on her chest, and looked away.

The boy crouched down to her level and held his ears. "Sorry na bacha. I was on the field, waha se call karna allowed nahi hota."

The girl melted just like that, she pulled his hand down, "Sorry, maat bolo, aap mujhe accha nahi lagta!" she said, making him chuckle.

They both got up, and Sam held his hand, giving him an knowing look, "Aap kya chaiye, Princess ko?" the boy asked.

Sam smiled, "Ice cream!"

"Samiksha!" the mother called out a bit firmly, making Samiksha hide behind her brother.

The boy went towards his mother, taking her blessings. He hugged her tightly. Samaira's eyes misted, "Kaise hai Surya!" she asked, caressing his face.

Surya took hold of his mother's hand, kissing it, "Ab aapke paas aa gaya na toh bilkul thik hu. Ab aap rona band karo," he said, wiping her tears.

Sam hugged her father, "Mumma meri tarah cry baby banti jaa rahi hai, Dad," she said slowly, but everyone heard it. The father-son duo laughed, whereas the mother glared at her little brat.

"Achha beta, main cry baby banti jaa rahi hu. Ruk, abhi tujhe batati hu..." said Samaira, taking a step towards her daughter, who hid behind her brother.

"Idhar aa na ab kyu aapne bhai ke peeche chup rahi hai aur kya boli tu, tujhe ice cream khana hai?" Samira asked.

Samiskha nodded shamelessly, snuggling closer to her brother from behind.

"Subah se doo ice cream aap already kha chuki hai, madam, aur abhi aapko aur chaiye?" Samira scolded. "Aur khaogi toh tabiyat kharab ho jayegi, Samiskha, kab samjhegi..."

"Bass maa!" Surya intervened gently, "Bacchi hai, khane do na, ice cream hi toh maang rahi hai. What's the big deal?"

Samira glared at her son, "Aate hi lag gaya tu apne kaam par. Hamesha bhul kyu jata hai ki tu IPS officer hai, na ki koi lawyer?"

He looked at his father pleadingly, who just looked away, betraying his son. He was least interested in sleeping on the couch or listening to his wife's infamous lecture.

"Shaurya ko kya dekh raha hai Surya, I am talking to you," she looked at her husband, "Aap kuch kahenge apne bacho ko Shaurya...ek hai jise apni tabiyat kharab karne ki padi hai aur dusra, uska bhai usse rokne ki jagah mujhe hi samjha raha hai."

Shaurya looked at his son, "Veer abhi aye ho, aapne room mai jao Sam ko leke. Go and change koi ice cream nahi milegi," he tried to be firm, making Sam laugh out loud. Shaurya and Veer glared at her... she was proving to be the real little devil for them!

Samira threw a disgusted look towards her husband, "Aapki 14 saal ki beti ko bhi pata hai aap kab natak karte hai aur kab serious hote hai Shaurya. Har baar ek he trick use karke aap bore nahi ho jate?"