Chapter- 20 We are Family!

Aditi sat beside Samiksha silently, after crying in her embrace, finally her sobs subsided; however, the tears were still flowing down her eyes. Sitting there, hugging her knees closer to her chest, however, her eyes stuck at the door waiting for her Bhaiya.

Aditi sighed, "Give Surya some time to cool off, Samiksha," she said gently, gaining her attention.

Samiksha looked at her for a second and averted her gaze. She understood she was at fault yet again! She knew she should have informed him, but she didn't. She was so lost in her own thought process that she actually forgot to inform her Bhaiya about her whereabouts. She wanted her Bhaiya to lash out at her; she was willing to take his anger, his punishment, even his slaps... but the way he just walked away did not sit well with her. And for now, she didn't even have enough courage to approach or apologize to him.

"You know what one of the most difficult things in the world is, Samiksha?" Aditi asked gently, breaking her thoughts as she looked at her questioningly.

Aditi smiled softly, "Parenting!"

Samiksha looked at her, startled.

"My mother died while giving birth to me," Aditi said gently. Samiksha gently placed her hand on Aditi's; even in that single sentence, she could hear the loads of emotions Aditi was carrying.

Aditi, too, placed her hand on Samiksha's and smiled softly. That was one quality she admired in Samiksha. Even though she was facing emotional turmoil, the way Samiksha held her hand, giving silent support, encouraged her to do the right thing.

"I only had my father with me. Rest of my family... well, you have met my Buaji, usse toh tum andaza laga he sakti ho, how they might be. Aur sach bolu toh papa sath the issliye kabhi kisi aur ki zarurat hi nahi padi. We were each other's support system, best friends, and the best father-daughter duo anyone could see." Aditi looked at Samiskha, "But still, there was something I carried with me all my life, a facade, a burden of something that made me question why the hell on earth I was born? Do you know what it was and what made me think like that?" she asked gently.

Samiskha looked at her with her questioning gaze, asking, "What?"

Aditi smiled, "Guilt! The burden of guilt!" Samiskha looked at her, startled. "The guilt that I killed my mother, the guilt that I was the reason my father became a widower, the guilt that my father got separated from his family because of me. But that guilt one day faded into thin air when my father heard me saying all this and confessing this to him. That was the moment I realized what I did... the man who loved me unconditionally all his life, the man who tried to keep me protected all his life and never let me hear the validations of society we live in. And in return, I gave him unbearable pain and hurt."

Aditi held Samiksha's hand, "That day I realized...the most difficult thing or task in the world is being a parent. In the process of protecting their own child, our parents go to any extent. They stand between us and our problems, protecting us like a shield, bearing every single pain, hurt, and insult from society, from the world, from our enemies. But no matter what, they never let that kind of fire hurt or reach us in any way. Humare parents kitni bhi taklif mai, dard mai kyu na ho, they won't tell their kids and hide their problems behind the happy facade. Aur sabse bade dukh ki baat ek bacche ke liye yeh hai ki jab vo apne pita ko tutata dekhe aur unhe sametha na paye. I have been in that condition, and trust me, that was the day I realized, felt, and understood the actual meaning of helplessness!" Aditi said and wiped Samiksha's tears gently. "But your condition is different, Samiksha," she said gently, and Samiksha looked away.

Her condition was no different; the guilt she was carrying in her heart for years, unable to remove it no matter what. The decision she took in her impulsiveness almost broke her Bhaiya's heart. In a way, she hurt the man who she now considered as a father figure in her life. Earlier, she didn't realize what kind of emotion and respect she felt towards her Bhaiya, but now she was clear that he was definitely more than a brother to her. However, she didn't have enough courage in her to bare her heart and soul in front of the one she once hurt immensely... she never will!