Flashbacks

Chapter 4

"That's for SIP you fucking bitch!" Jack snarls at me as I huddle in the floor.

"Let's make sure your son gets the same fete as his fucked up dad" Ted! No please not my baby boy! I try to move but my body is paralysed.

"Jack please! Not Ted please not Ted!" I plead. My eyes start to blur as he has the burning end of a cigarette held in front of my little boy. No. No please.

Piercing screams leave my sons body as Jack begins to stub his cigarettes out on Ted's bare chest. I try and try but I can't move. I scream and cry hysterically on the floor but nobody can hear me.

"Let's see what baby bird makes of this" he snarls, and burns him over and over, marking him in the exact places that Christian was burnt.

"Now it's my turn" Elena emerges from the dark. No. Stay away from my son. Get away from him you child molester!

Pain lances through my heart as I have to watch my son suffer the same pain that my husband once endured. Please stop. My boy is wiggling frantically beneath Jack as he hits him over and over! I scream. Darkness closes in on me and the screams of my baby echo in my head as they slowly fade away with the darkness.

"ANA! Christ Ana wake up! It's just a dream baby!" I open my eyes and look up at my husbands distressed face. Tears still streaming down my face from the nightmare I have just encountered. My heart rate is pumping frantically as fear grips my gut. It was just a dream! I tell myself over and over.

The emotion and pain tugs at my gut as it all becomes too much. It's as though the dam has exploded as I begin to cry uncontrollably.

"Ana baby! What is it? It was just a dream baby, I've got you!" Christian sits up and pulls me into his comforting arms as I sob into his chest. This is home. This is where I feel safe, with my husband. We sit like this for what feels like forever. I don't know how long has passed, seconds? Minutes? Hours? I have no idea, but Christian sits there quietly, rocking me in his lap as I cry, kissing my head every now and again. But he doesn't move, he just sits there and comforts me until I can no longer cry anymore.

"Better?" He asks me smoothly. I nod and hold him tighter. The realisation hits me. My fear that my boys will be hurt or my daughter for that matter is what haunts me. This is what scares me about Jack being released. This is my worst nightmare. And it has only just begun.

"Are you okay?" Christian interrupts my thoughts. I look up at his tormented face. He's helpless.

"Yeah, just a horrible nightmare. Don't ever leave me Christian" my voice breaks as he holds me tighter burying his nose in my hair.

"Anastasia, I would never leave you. Ever. I love you and our kids more than anything" he sounds sincere and earnest. A tear trickles down my cheek as he tilts my head up to meet his, he wipes the stray tear off my cheek with his thumb and kisses me, deeply. The muscles in my gut clench. Abruptly Christian pulls back, as if it took a great will to do so.

"What was your dream about?" He asks gingerly.

I tell Christian all about the nightmare I have just withstood, sorrowing over the memory that now haunts my dreams.

"Why are you angry at me?" I ask, surprised by the bitter look that is now etched on his face.

"I'm not angry at you Ana, I'm angry at myself. I shouldn't have told you. Now you're having nightmares and panic attacks in your sleep!" But he should have told me! Why would he think that! Knowing will mean that I can have more control and knowledge about what's going on.

"Christian don't think like that! It's not your fault. I'm glad you told me, thank you!" I respond, in attempt to comfort him.

"Why are you thanking me?" Oh Christian you really are obtuse sometimes!

"For telling me" I kiss him on his lips once more and shift off of the bed.

"Where are you going?" He asks quickly.

"Just to check on Ted, I'll be two minuets".

My little Prince Charming is fast asleep in his big boy bed. Not a care in the world. He looks so amicable and composed, nothing compared to the way I've just seen him in my dream. I lean down and kiss his soft plump cheek, appreciating the fact that he's here, in front of me. I stand there and watch him, drinking in his perfect features. His tussled copper hair that curls slightly at the end, his tiny, perfect turned up nose and his beautifully sculptured lips. He is his dad's image.

Christian makes me jump as he wraps his arms around my round belly. Kissing me below the ear.

"Come on, he's fine, and you need to sleep, come back to bed".

I lay on Christians chest, my bump resting on the side of his hip and our legs tangled between one another. His arms are wrapped around me like ivy.

"Sleep now baby" he kisses my head once more as I fall into an untroubled sleep.