16. Space

"Paa, are you and Dad fighting?" Navin asked in a low voice.

Ohm and Nanon looked at each other and then at their son.

"What made you think like that, honey?" Nanon asked.

"You didn't kiss Paa bye-bye for the last two days," Navin replied.

Nanon hadn't expected the child to be upset over such a small detail. Of course, Nanon wouldn't kiss Ohm before going off to work. That just sounded so absurd to both of them.

"I also saw that you have shifted into the guest room. You have been sleeping there too." Navin revealed his findings.

Ohm sniffled a laugh. He had no problem sharing the room with Nanon. But Nanon did. The latter couldn't stand the idea of having to share a bed with him.

Nanon decided to move all his things to the guest room and stay there. He would rather die than share his personal space with someone like Ohm. 

"That honey... it's not like that... It's just that..." Nanon was trying his best to come up with an excuse but couldn't think of one.

"It's just that your Dad has a lot of work to complete before he can take days off for Uncle Perth's and Uncle Chimon's wedding. Your Dad is worried that he would disturb Paa's sleep if he stayed up late." Ohm quickly cooked up a lie and told his son.

Navin looked at his father sceptically.

Seeing the child's reaction, Nanon realised that he had to back Ohm up on this.  "Yes! Your Paa is telling the truth. I have so much work that I have to stay up all night!"

Navin stared at his parents for a few minutes and then said "Are you guys trying to bluff me because you think that I am just a kid?"

"No, Navin. We-"

"You should stop Paa" Navin interrupted Ohm mid-sentence. "I am not an idiot to believe your lies. Dad has always been the kind who likes to do everything in an orderly manner. He had long known that he would have to finish off his work early to take days off for the wedding. If I am not wrong, he must have completed all his work for the next half of the month already so that he wouldn't have to get stressed out and enjoy the wedding completely. He is not like you Paa, to procrastinate everything till the last moment and would do things only at the eleventh hour!"

Ohm rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. He knew that what his son said was true. He had known Nanon since childhood and knew how organised the latter was. He also knew of Nanon's habit of finishing off all the work earlier than it was due.

Navin then turned to Nanon "Dad, I am sure that Paa had done something to upset you and I am apologizing on his behalf. Can you please forgive Paa one last time and take him in? I promise that I will keep an eye on him and make sure that he behaves."

"Hey!" Ohm was speechless. His own son was downgrading him. He couldn't believe that a six-year-old kid could speak like this.

Nanon fought the urge to laugh out loud. He was thoroughly enjoying the show. He decided to play along with the child.

He sighed dramatically "Navin dear...I am happy that you are so sensible and are willing to apologize on your Paa's behalf" He gently caressed Navin's hair. "But knowing your Pa..." He sighed again, "I hope you understand my situation."

Navin got tensed seeing his Dad in despair. He quickly grabbed Nanon's hand "Dad, you know Paa is all bark and no bite. He wouldn't dare disobey you for the second time. Please let him off with a warning this time" He pleaded. "And if he repeats his mistake another time, then you can punish him ruthlessly. I will help you." He promised.

"Hey! I am sitting right here." Ohm realised that his son was selling him out just like that. The kid had completely teamed up with Nanon and didn't even blink while promising to go against him.

He started wondering how his life in the family was when Orn was yet to be born. He was sure that he was always the losing party as it seemed that his husband and son were in control.

Nanon and Navin acted like Ohm didn't exist and continued their conversation. "Navin, I know you have our best interests in your mind... but you have to understand that there are some things between husbands that cannot be explained to you"

Navin frowned at Nanon's words. After a second he asked, "Did Paa get a fungal infection down there like Lily's Dad did?"

Lily was his classmate in school. She once told him that her mother kicked her father out of the bedroom because he got a fungal infection down his genitals. She had also told him that her mother was so scared to go near him because the infection was contagious.

The six-year-old Navin assumed that his father too had gotten that fungal infection, given he never washed his undergarments on time and his Dad had found it out. That might have been the reason why his Dad was keeping a distance from Paa in fear of getting infected.

Only if his Paa was less dirty, he wouldn't have been infected.

Nanon couldn't hold it anymore. He laughed out loud.

Ohm on the other hand was vivid. His face drained off the colour as he heard his son talk. How could a kid think that his own father got a fungal infection down his dick? "What the fuck are you talking about? I have no infection!" He said defensively.

"Paa! Please mind your language. You are talking in front of a kid." Navin said in a serious tone.

Ohm zipped his mouth. He was getting scolded by a six-year-old. He wouldn't have used the F-word if his son had acted more like a kid than an adult.

Nanon had somewhat calmed down at this point. "Navin, your Paa doesn't have any infection." 

"Then why did you move out of your room?" Navin asked. 

"Dad just wanted some space, Navin. Dad had been married to your Paa for so many years. Both Dad and Paa wanted to enjoy some space for ourselves. That's why we thought of staying in different rooms for the time being. Not because we had a fight or anything." Nanon explained.

Navin nodded with knitted brows. He was still contemplating the whole idea of having space in between a married couple.

Anyhow, he was relieved to hear that his parents weren't fighting. Because he had heard stories from his friends about their parents getting divorced after a fight. He didn't want his parents to get a divorce especially not when he knew that he would have to go with Ohm and not Nanon in case it happens.