22. Car

"What were you thinking when you got married to Paa, Dad?" Navin groaned like an old man as he handed his spinner to his Dad.

"That was exactly what I was wondering too," Nanon muttered softly.

The father and the two kids had arrived at the Hat Yai Airport which was nearest to the resort. Nanon had come over to pick them up. He missed the two kids.

"Thank god, that the plane was late, Or else we would have missed it," Navin said grumpily.

" Dad, you should control your son more. Because of P' Vin we had to wait in the airport for a long time! " Orn whined.

" The flight was late because of the weather. I don't believe that it is my fault! I just wanted us to reach the airport on time. " Navin pouted at the accusation from his sister. " If we had waited till the last moment like you and Paa wanted to, then we would have been stuck in the traffic till now. "

Nanon started looking at his son in a new light. The kid was way more mature than his age. When he was his son's age, he didn't even know what a traffic jam meant. He mentally praised his son's ability to calculate time and make plans accordingly.

"Alright. Alright. Don't start a fight here you two. We need to get going" he ushered the trio to his car.

Ohm was sulking in the corner, watching his biological son badmouth him in front of his enemy.

He wasn't late on purpose. He just slept late. Who would have thought that a little kid would wake up so early in the morning and start pestering him?

Though whatever Navin said was true, he felt aggrieved that he was being completely disregarded by his own son.

Nanon had rented out a car for his use in Songkhla. He wasn't a big fan of being driven around in taxis or taking public transport.

"Paa, are we going to meet our grandpa and grandma today?" Orn asked from the backseat.

Ohm looked at Nanon who was staring back at him in the moment.

"We might baby" Ohm ruffled her hair.

The couple placed their luggage inside the car. Just as Nanon was about to take the driver's seat, Ohm stopped him.

"I will drive" He reached out to grab the keys from Nanon.

Even though the latte wasn't really happy about it, he said nothing as he didn't want to start an argument. Nanon wordlessly climbed onto the passenger seat and buckled up.

"Dad, why do grandpa and grandma dislike us?" Navin asked.

"Who told you that your grandpa and grandma dislike you?" Nanon was shocked. He hadn't talked to the kids about the whole grandparents' scenario. It's not that he didn't want to but he didn't get time to do that.

"Aa Perth and Aa Mon. They told us that our grandma and grandma may not act like they like us. So we have to act very cute and disciplined to get them to like us" Orn chirped.

Nanon sighed. He knew that the other couple had good intentions warning the two kids. "It's not you whom they don't. It's your Paa who they don't like."

"But, why don't they like Paa, Dad?" To Orn, her Paa was the best man who ever existed. 

"Maybe because your Paa tried to kill his best friend for a girl" Nanon muttered softly. His words were not loud, but it was loud enough for Ohm who was sitting right next to him to hear.

 Ohm slammed the brakes and stared at Nanon with incredulity. 

 "Are you two okay?" Nanon checked on the two kids. "What the heck, Ohm! Get off the wheel if you don't know to drive!" He yelled at his husband.

"Dad, we are both fine. Please don't yell at Paa." Orn begged.

Nanon turned quiet staring straight ahead.

Ohm restarted the car. Thankfully there were no vehicles behind them. Or else it would have crashed into their car.

He felt a lump in his throat. Nanon's words had hurt him deeply.

Sensing the tense atmosphere, Navin tried starting a conversation. "Dad, why did you that Grandpa and Grandma dislike Paa?"

Nanon wetted his lips. "Your grandparents from Paa's side don't like Dad as well. Maybe it is because Paa and Dad ran away to get married."

He couldn't tell the kids about the complicated scenario between the adults of the family.

"But why did you guys have to run away? Couldn't you have~" Orn's words were cut off by Nanon midsentence.

"Ohm, you need to slow down! This is not a car race! Kids are sitting in the back seat!" Nanon warned seeing the rising number on the speedometer.

This ticked Ohm off further. He was already in a bad mood with just what Nanon had said earlier.

His legs pressed down on the accelerated and the car sped through the road.

"OHM!" Nanon found Ohm's behavior to be completely unreasonable.

Ohm ignored Nanon's angry roar.

The car finally stopped in the parking lot of the resort and Ohm got off the driver's seat.

Dunk, Nanon's now secretary and their ex-classmate, was waiting for their arrival.

"Dunk, could you please take the kids to their rooms? I need to have a talk with your boss" Ohm grabbed Nanon's hand and dragged him along even before Dunk could reply.

Dunk, upon seeing that Ohm was in a bad mood, didn't dare to oppose him. He took the two little ones to their rooms.

"Ohm, let go of me!" Nanon struggled to get rid of Ohm's grip.

Ohm turned a deaf ear to his words and continued walking in huge strides. He didn't let go of Nanon's hand till they reached an isolated area that was located in between a small bamboo forest.

"What the fuck is wrong with you, Pawat?" Nanon frowned, massaging his bruised wrist.

Ohm controlled his anger and turned to face Nanon "Non, do you really think that I wanted to hurt you that day?"

"I don't want to talk about that day." Nanon turned to leave. It was a sensitive topic for him and he knew well enough that his best friend's wedding wasn't the best place to discuss something like that.

Ohm blocked his way. "No. We need to talk. You just accused me of murder, Non!"

"Stop calling me Non, alright? You have long lost the right to use that nickname, Pawat. Get out of my way!" Nanon grunted.

"It's not like you were actually in love with Film." Ohm was dead set on discussing the matter. They would be facing their families in a few hours. They had to clear things between themselves before meeting others. They had to be on the same team for that.

"So?" Nanon scoffed. "Is that why you kissed her the very next day I confessed to her?"

"I didn't kiss her! She kissed me! That was what you saw!" Ohm got defensive. "You were the one who threw the punch! I was innocent!"

"Innocent?" Nanon laughed like it was the biggest joke he had ever heard. "You pushed me down the stairs, Pawat. If not for the flowerpot placed there, I would have hit my head directly. If that happened, I would have been dead! Or turned into a vegetable at the least! I am sure that you would have been over the moon if that happened."

"That was an accident! I didn't mean to push you down!"

"Really?" Nanon looked at him with a sarcastic smirk. "Then why didn't you catch me when you saw that I was falling? Weren't you the one who used to preach that our friendship was very precious to you and that you would even die for me? Then why didn't you try to help me that day?"

Ohm went silent. How could he explain to Nanon the turmoil of emotions that he had experienced in a matter of a few milliseconds that day?

"Also" Nanon took a step closer to Ohm. "Do you really think that you dated Film after I left the school? I have real loyal friends as well, Pawat" With that he walked away, leaving Ohm behind.