26. Uncle

"Dad, meet our new friend, P' Tan," Navin introduced the slightly older boy with whom he had been playing with, to his Dad, who had just arrived at the playground to pick them up.

"Aa Non!" Tan rushed to his uncle and hugged his waist.

Nanon was caught off guard by the child's affection. As he didn't have the memories of the last decade, he didn't know that his elder brother had a child.

He looked at the child's face which had a huge resemblance to his own. He squatted down on the floor. "Y- You are..."

"Aa Non, it's me Tan. I am your nephew. Don't you recognize me?" Tan asked with a hint of disappointment in his voice. He had been excited to meet his uncle and his uncle didn't remember him. 

Nanon's trembling hands reached out for Tan's cheeks. He had no idea that he had a nephew this old. He didn't even have an idea that he had a nephew.

"Tan, where are you?" Tay's voice was heard from the other side of the playground.

"Dad! Over here!" Tan shouted to get Tay's attention.

Tay headed in the direction from which his son's voice was heard. "Tan, don't run around in unfamiliar places na. You will get lost." He said as he walked over.

He froze in his tracks when he saw his son standing next to his younger brother, whom he had been missing so much.

"Dad, I just came to meet Aa Non and my Nongs. I wasn't running around," Tan clarified himself to his father's scolding.

Nanon slowly got back on his feet as he saw his elder brother. All the emotions that he had been keeping pressed inside his mind rushed out in the form of tears. He weakly moved towards his elder brother.

Tay wasn't in a better condition. His little brother had grown older and was still as handsome as he ever was.

In the past few years after Nanon left home, he had single-handedly managed the whole family. He couldn't afford to break down like others did as he had the responsibility of his parents, his son, and the rest of the family.

He had held back everything within himself and acted strong to others. Nobody knew how affected he was about Nanon's departure from the family.

As Nanon reached his brother, he paused for a second, searching for any sign of rejection from his brother's part. Seeing none, he directly hugged him and was hugged back.

No words were said. Just the warm hug and wet tears that said thousands of words. 

A few seconds later, the brothers split up from the hug. They still held each other without a word.

Tay felt someone tug his trousers. He looked down and saw that it was a little girl who was looking up at him.

"Are you P' Tan's Dad?" Orn asked the handsome uncle who had just hugged her Dad. 

Tay looked at Nanon as if asking him if this child was really his own niece. Nanon nodded in response, understanding the meaning of the look.

"Khrab," Tay got on his knees. His niece was as cute as his little brother. "May I know what your name is, pretty lady?"

Orn blushed profusely. But her being her Paa's daughter, was a confident piece of work. She didn't shy away from anything. "My name is Ornanong Koramit Kirdpan Kha. You can call me Orn. I am five years old." Raising her tiny hands, she showed her five fingers.

Tay's smile grew bigger at the gesture. He wasn't expecting such a detailed introduction from a five-year-old. "My name is Tay Tawan na." He didn't say his age as he was sure that she might only know how to count to ten.

"Lung Tay, can I be P' Tan's girlfriend?" Orn asked expectedly. She liked good-looking people. Be it Tan or his father, both of them were really handsome. She liked them both.

Tay chuckled at the question. His son was a lady killer just like him in his childhood days. There were a lot of girls swamping towards the little guy because of his charm. He didn't expect his niece to be one of those girls too. "I am sorry na, pretty lady. But P' Tan is too young to have a girlfriend."

She pouted for a second, deep in thought "Then, can I be your girlfriend?" She was more interested in Tay than his son.

Tay almost rolled on the floor, laughing. His niece was way too adorable. "No, Khrab. You can't."

"But why?" Orn's eyes were brimming with tears. She had been rejected twice a day. Once by Tan and twice by Tay. "Do you have a girlfriend?" That was the only logical reasoning she could come up with. 

Since he had a son, it was normal for him to have a girlfriend or even a wife.

"No, I don't have a girlfriend. I am single. But still, Orn can't be my girlfriend na." Tay answered holding back his laughter.

"Why can't I be your girlfriend? I am a big girl. I know how to brush my hair and even put on my dress. I can also bathe by myself. You wouldn't have to help me eat either. Dad has taught me how to eat without making a mess as well. I will be a good girlfriend," Orn wasn't the kind that would give up so easily upon rejection.

Thus, she was showing Tay how she was different from other kids her age.

Tay was beaming with pride as he listened to the little girl listing out things, she was good at. He was proud of his younger brother for being able to raise a child to be independent at such a small age.

"I know Orn will be a good girlfriend na. But other than being P' Tan's Dad, I am also your Dad's Phi chaai, which makes you, my niece." He explained.

Orn was shocked for a moment. "Then is P' Tan my cousin?" She looked from Tay to Nanon for an answer and saw them nodding their head.

She was over the moon upon receiving the confirmation. "Yeay! I have two Phi chaais now!" She screamed happily, bouncing on her feet.

Everyone smiled happily seeing this.

Tay's eyes finally fell on the little boy who was standing at the side. 

Nanon traced the gaze and saw that Tay was looking at Navin. "This is my son, phi." He said as he gently pulled the child closer.

"Come here, son," Tay gestured for him to come over to him as he still squatted to the floor.

Navin hesitantly took his invitation. He knew that Kirdpans were not very fond of his Paa. As his Paa's biological child, there was a high chances that he wouldn't be liked by them either. That was why he kept his distance from the family reunion.

Tay hugged the little boy tightly. "What is your name, child?" He asked cupping the boy's face.

"My name is Navin Pawan Chittsawangdee Khrab," Navin answered in a soft voice. 

"You remind me of the first time I met your Paa na," Tay fondly ruffled his soft hair.