Chapter Five

-Clubhouse-

"Look! Stan's spider-protecting shower caps!"

The next day they all woke up early and Mike explained how they had to go to their old clubhouse Ben had built. Ben was leading them with Mike right behind him.

"The barrens." Beverly spoke.

"This is where we came...after the rock fight." Ben said.

With the way the sun was leaking through the trees, the place looked magical. Sadly they knew the horror that really lied in Derry.

"The clubhouse." Richie remembered.

"Yes!" Beverly exclaimed. "You built that for us." She looked at Ben.

"Yeah, yeah. The hatch has got to be around here, somewhere." Richie pointed around.

"I do remember that!" Eddie said.

Charlotte then tripped over a tree root. Before she could fall face first, Stan caught her by the waist.

"You okay?" He asked with worried eyes.

Charlotte gave a subtle nod as she stared into his eyes. She then smiled and pecked his lips. Bill's jaw dropped as he watched. When the hell did that happen? He asked himself. He then smiled as he noticed she was happy.

Charlotte gave a small laugh.

"What?" Stan smiled.

"It's just...You haven't changed, at all. Don't worry, it's a good thing." She told him.

She then slipped out of his arms and towards the rest of the group. Stan followed with a lovesick smile.

"You know what? I actually think the door was more like...around-" Ben stomped on the ground before he fell through.

"Found it!" He yelled from inside, "I'm okay! Come down!"

Thirteen-year-old Beverly climbed down the latter first, the others quickly following. When they all got down, Charlotte noticed Ben was already there.

"What the dick is this?" Richie asked, "How'd you build it?"

"When did you build it?" Bill's question followed.

"Here and there, I guess." Ben answered. "It was already dug out from something, so I just had to reinforce the walls and get some wood for the, uh roof door. And that's pretty much it."

"Pretty good for my first time, huh?" He leaned against a pillar before part of the roof quickly fell. They all simultaneously jumped.

"Now that's a cool feature." Richie spoke. "What happens when you put your hand on the other pillar, professor?"

"Okay you see this? This is exactly why there are safety codes. Why we have permits. This place is a death trap, you understand that?" Eddie rambled.