Twisted Dream

Mayu's dream unfolded in a surreal dance of memories. The air was thick with tension as her father and uncle exchanged words, each sentence laden with unspoken history.

"Do you believe in reincarnation?" Mayu's father asked, his eyes revealing a depth of contemplation.

Her uncle, seemingly preoccupied, replied, "You should be with Emé. She's about to give birth. Why are you asking about reincarnation now?"

Mayu's father persisted, ignoring his brother's suggestion. "I'm asking because sometimes, the cycle repeats. Lives intertwine, and the consequences echo through generations."

Her uncle sighed, recognizing the gravity of the conversation. "What are you getting at, brother?"

"I have my reasons. This child... it might carry burdens from a past life. Be prepared for whatever comes our way."

"It's a peculiar coincidence, wouldn't you agree?" began Mayu's father, his voice devoid of its usual warmth. "The very moment Shane's life was snuffed out, Emé conceived."

His brother's eyes darted nervously, searching for some semblance of reason in the unsettling words. "Brother, what are you implying?"

With a deep sigh, Mayu's father continued, "Shane's dying words were a prophecy of sorts. 'The next girl to be born in this family will inherit my will.' And since that day, not a single girl has been born into any of the 23 branch families."

The gravity of the situation began to sink in for the brother. "Are you suggesting that your and Emé's child is in danger?"

"It's not about danger," replied Mayu's father coldly. "It's about destiny. The balance must be maintained."

His brother's face paled, the color draining as he whispered, "So, if Emé gives birth to a girl, you intend to..."

Mayu's father turned to face him, his eyes piercing. "It's only a matter of time. The universe has a way of correcting itself. Shane's will cannot be ignored."

"But she's your wife, your family!" cried the brother, desperation evident in his voice. "Surely there must be another way."

A cold, mirthless laugh escaped Mayu's father's lips. "You think I haven't considered that? This is bigger than us, bigger than any one individual. The will of the cosmos cannot be denied."

Silence enveloped the room, broken only by the distant chirping of crickets. The weight of destiny, of generations intertwined, hung heavy between the two brothers.

Finally, the brother spoke, his voice trembling, "What do we do now?"

Mayu's father stepped closer, his face unreadable. "We wait. And we prepare for whatever comes next."

The grandeur of the Hiraoka mansion echoed with the news of the newborn. The ornate hallways, adorned with ancient family portraits, seemed to watch with bated breath as the news spread like wildfire. Emé, despite the exhaustion evident in her eyes, held a glow that only the miracle of life could bring. She gave birth to a girl.

Her husband, Mayu's father, approached with an air of anticipation. The dimly lit room was filled with an eerie silence as he took in the sight of his newborn daughter, wrapped in soft silks, her tiny face framed by a halo of dark hair.

"Mayumi," he whispered, the name dripping with both affection and foreboding. "Mayu."

Emé, sensing a tension in his voice, hesitated before speaking. "Sir? Huff... Huff... You don't seem pleased. Huff..."

He turned to face her, his eyes devoid of emotion. The weight of centuries of tradition bore down on him. "Rest," he commanded, dismissing her concerns with a curt nod.