Breaking The News

The room was dimly lit, shadows dancing on the walls as Raiden slowly regained consciousness. The first thing he saw was Mayu's face, her eyes covered by a blindfold, concern evident in her every feature.

"Mayu?" he whispered, his voice hoarse.

She leaned in closer, her hand gently resting on his. "Raiden," she replied softly, her voice filled with relief.

Riyu, who was seated beside him, looked up, her eyes wide with concern. "You had us worried," she admitted, her voice trembling slightly.

Raiden glanced around the room, his gaze finally falling on Steven and Dr. Emeka, who were standing a short distance away. Memories of their previous encounter flooded back, and he felt a pang of unease.

"I saw Dr. Emeka," he said, his voice filled with uncertainty. "She mentioned an experimental treatment."

Mayu's grip tightened, her voice filled with emotion. "I promised you in Johto, Raiden," she said, her voice quivering. "No matter what happens, I'll always be by your side."

Raiden nodded, tears welling in his eyes. "I know," he whispered, his voice filled with gratitude.

Steven stepped forward, his face grave. "We'll get through this," he said, his voice filled with determination. "Together."

Dr. Emeka nodded, her expression serious. "I'll do everything I can to help," she said, her voice filled with determination.

Raiden's gaze shifted from Mayu's blindfold to Steven, his expression filled with concern. "Her eyes? What happened?"

Steven sighed, his eyes filled with sadness. "During the battle, there was an eruption. Mayu was caught in it," he explained gently. "Her eyes were burnt."

Raiden's heart ached as he looked at Mayu, her face pale beneath the blindfold. "Will she be okay?"

Dr. Emeka stepped forward, her expression serious. "With time and treatment, she should recover," she said, her voice filled with reassurance.

Mayu reached out, her hand searching for Raiden's. "Promise me, Dr. Emeka," she said, her voice trembling. "Promise me you'll do everything you can to restore my sight."

Dr. Emeka nodded, her eyes filled with determination. "I promise," she said firmly.

Steven placed a comforting hand on Raiden's shoulder. "I'll come back to check on you," he said softly.

Raiden nodded, her lips forming a weak smile. "Thank you, Steven."

As Steven left the room along with Mayu, Raiden squeezed Riyu's hand, his heart filled with gratitude for the friends who stood by their side.

Mayu adjusted her blindfold slightly in the hospital, her face reflecting curiosity. "Steven," she began, "Why haven't Tate or Liza intervened in all of this? They're the gym leaders here."

Steven paused, looking thoughtful. "They're tied up with a conference at the moment," he replied, adjusting his coat. "All the gym leaders are gathering to discuss various matters concerning the region."

Mayu nodded slowly, absorbing the information. "I see," she murmured. "Well, go on then. They need you there."

Steven offered her a reassuring smile. "I'll be back as soon as I can. Take care, Mayu."

With that, Steven departed, leaving Mayu alone with her thoughts. She hoped that the conference would yield positive outcomes for Hoenn, even as she grappled with her own challenges.

Back at the lab, Raiden hesitated, his gaze darting between Dr. Emeka and Riyu. The weight of the situation pressed heavily upon him. "I've never heard about these procedures," he murmured, his voice tinged with apprehension. "Are you sure about this, Dr. Emeka?"