Chapter 5 - The Princess goes to the royal banquet

With the collective assistance of Loulou and Lady Ayla, River managed to put on the ceremonial robes. It was the most complicated dress he had tried on in his nineteen years of life.

Ayla first handed a small bottle of pinkish oil to the valet. Loulou poured the warm oil on his just-washed, cool skin and firmly rubbed it in, filling his lungs with the sweet, mellow smell of Vopline. The process was so relaxing that he almost dozed off a couple of times. The oil of dried Vopline flowers left his pale skin supple and faintly glowing. Loulou rubbed his oil-coated palms together and ran his fingers through his still damp hair.

Then came a pair of wide-legged pants and an undershirt in a light blue shade. They were then coupled with a few more layers of exquisite silk before topping it all off with a dark blue wide-sleeved robe with intricately embroided boaders.

Loulou secured all the layers with a sash and added a string of pearls and blue Mogahog beads at his waist, completing the look.

When Lady Ayla asked him to see if the dress fit to his liking, he took a few steps around the room and realized that it was indeed tailored to fit him perfectly. It flowed around him elegantly, and despite the many layers, it was comfortable to move around in. He gave his audience a little twirl, and the dress circled around him, making him look like a lovely blue blossom.

Then, to his horror, Lady Ayla announced that there was hair, jewelry, and makeup to follow.

He sat obediently while she applied rouge to his fingertips and soles, giving them an adorable pinkish hue. Then she tapped them on his cheeks and eyelids with a cotton ball. Ayla proceeded to tint his lips and line his eyes with red, accentuating his alluring blue eyes.

Four hands got in to earnest work,braiding his lengthy dark hair and clasping silver jewelry adorned with blue Sanbelite gems on his crown.

River tried to ask Ayla about their lives in Queensend, about his niece and brother, about civilians, and about anything that happens beyond the walls of the east wing. But Ayla answered him shortly and politely and busied herself, adorning him with jewelry.

"Lady Ayla is quite skilled in this department," River complimented. "My niece is indeed lucky."

Ayla's hands halted where she was trying to fasten a necklace behind him.

"I used to help my sisters get ready."

River knew he had unintentionally poked a very sore spot in her heart.
A pang of guilt stabbed him in the gut as he watched her warm brown eyes brimming with tears.

"We had no jewelry or fine silk, but we would make do." Ayla's voice was soft and fond. She gently patted his hair and said, "You look beautiful."

River suddenly realized that this little dress-up session meant a lot more to his sister-in-law.

Ayla herself was dressed in a very simple, high-necked white and gold gown with hardly any jewelry, but she went to great lengths to dress him like a heavenly maiden. She had personally picked the fabrics to match his preferences and looks. Some of the ornaments on his hair were her own, which he recognized. The flowy, multiple-layered dress, the wooden sandles, and everything else were native to Queensend.

She was dressing him up, thinking of him as one of her own siblings.

The siblings who were long dead.

"Brother will surely capture many eyes and hearts tonight," Ayla said, taking a step back to admire him.

River bowed to her. "Thank you,sister"

Ayla flinched visibly. Tears rolled down her cheeks,ruining her rouge. She gently wiped them away and smiled.

After putting on the last piece, a thin veil over his lower face, River accompanied his sister out of the East Wing and into the grand banquet.

Author has something to say

Thank you for reading my book ! I appreciate it soo much!

This chapter was rather short. Ay?

Please comment your ideas,predictions and criticism !

Also vote!