Betrayal

"You will listen ,silently ,to what I have to say"

River sank to his knees . He will not run. He will not resist. His legs were way too weak for that.

"You have something that I need "

River could not help but glance up at him in complete confusion .

"The metal "

He felt a feeling akin to relief wash through him . This has to be some kind of a misunderstanding . Right?

"I do not have it"  He whimpered .

The beastly creature unleashed a deafening rumble , a cacophony of  displeasure that echoed like thunder.  It was like a foreboding nimbus ,threatening to strike upon the unfortunate soul that provoked its master.

"That's not true " Kaizer loomed over him like a furious god , looking more menancing than the beast.

"I do not have it ,Your Majesty "  River  forced his words out through his closing throat.

"Gods have spoken to me " Kaizer stated. "Gods make no flaws "

River felt his eyes burning at the rims. Gods words are final . If god says he has it , he has it, even if he dont . River's vision blurred . He did not want to cry. He did not want to seem weak .

"You ..Majesty ..can ask Lord Wolfram" He tried despite knowing it was futile. His words meant nothing against God's.

"Wolfram does not know what happened to it "

River blinked vigorously ,trying to see through tears. His brain felt cramped but he had regained some of his ability to think logically. What did he mean ? Wolfram had clearly said Raven Alistair had it. Multiple times.

Kaizer must have notice the ugly look of perplexity on his face because his cold eyes narrowed .

"Whatever he said to you, " he whispered "he said to bring you here"

River felt like a heavenly lightning struck him in his core.

His muddled mind was doing a very poor job processing information that was being dumped on him . What had Wolfram said to him back in Linchet? He tried to recall.

"..Alistair ran away with the metal like less of the dog he is.."

So he ..didnt ? Then what happened to the metal? What happened to Raven?  River felt as if his skull is being drilled.

"He found that the orb has melted and infused in to your hand " Kaizer said,his voice devoid of any warmth . "But when he removed and opened it, it was empty "

River's whole soul quivered at the memory of the heated globe melting his skin off. He could smell the scorching flesh right now and he retched  . The gruesome sight of the gooey blood and flesh flashed behind his eyes and it made his throat clamp .

So..thats why..

"Why didnt you take the orb? It was far more important "

"I cant leave you there ! We are friends!"

River felt his mind whirling as everything fell in to place. Wolfram had said Raven went back to Sandgill with the metal because he knew River would try to go back looking for the Southern King. He wanted River to come to Wesown ,because he did not know what else to do or where else to look for the metal. Not because they were friends. Not because he cared.

And River had followed him like a lamb.

"How did you.." he gulped forcing the bitter feeling down his throat. "Know  Im .."