usurper pt 2

Following  chapter contains explicit depiction of violence

"Is that?!"

River watched on in shock as the petite figure of the Third Wendigo daughter approached the edge of the pit.

She silently examined her surroundings , like an owl looking for prey.

"Someone has been here " She pointed out. Her voice was soft and nasal making her sound as infantile as she was.

"I dont have whole night, darling Xola" Wolfram shut his fan with a snap ,clearly irritated. "I have other places to be"

" It is going to take some time " The child ,whose name River caught to be Xola , said. "My Lord has to be patient"

Xola extended her hand towards the fiery pit of bubbling molten and her palm started glowing in a soft golden light.

"She is going to take it out!" River hissed ,expertly ignoring his nose that was starting to profusely bleed again.

No wander that Wendigos brazenly threw it in to a fiery hell of liquid gold where no one else can retrieve it. They had a child who can use telekinesis.

"Has My Lord found the remaining fragments ?" Xola questioned.

Wolfram's brows furrowed in annoyance " Im afraid I cant disclose that without taking away your life as a small curiosity tax "

Xola bit her bottom lip ,clearly embarassed about being presumptuous.

"I admire your father" Wolfram said in a voice that carried not a hint of sincerity "Wise old man"

He dragged a long painted nail on a wooden box and scrunched his nose at the amount of dust it picked up. "Resistence would have been futile. He made the right decision to hand it over to West"

He gracefully sat on the box and threw a leg over the knee of the other.
"Gods agreed?"

He saw a wave of fear sweeping over Xola's expressions. She silently shook her head.

River felt a chill running down his spine. He lifted his gaze to see Raven wearing a simillar face of dread.

East God has not allowed this transaction .

Raek Wendigo was defying God.

"Huh," Wolfram jumped a perfectly arched brow " My admiration reached new heights"

Xola extended her other arm ,and the glow of her divine power brightened. It was obvious that she was trying to speed up the process.

"The thing is cursed ," she explained " For one, we are living right above it. Many maids and gaurds died under mysterious conditions past two months"

Wolfram sighed . It was clear he had no interest in listening to sob stories of the Wendigos.

"We had to heavily compensate their families to keep their deaths under the wraps. We could not afford to have unrest among our people"

"Sacrifices must be made " Wolfram deadpanned

Xola looked at him over her shoulder "They were innocent people ! They died for no good reason!"

"Oh! To be young" Wolfram rolled his eyes.

"We cant keep taking gold from our people to feed this monstrosity either! " Xola 's voice was emotional. " I dare say you are doing the people a favour by taking it away"

"But God wants it" Wolfram's voice was calm.

"We do not intend to plunge the kingdom in to war and poverty " Xola's voice was firm.