Drown

Aithan Alistair...

River clenched his hands into his fists, looking down at the still unlifted serpant sigil. How did Aithan find him?

The retriever growled behind him, a grim reminder that his battle for survival today was far from over. Even with one eye blinded and one limb incapacitated, the beast still showed no sign of going down.

Another arrow flew overhead and dug into the monster's neck. In comparison to the sheer size of the beast, it seemed no more threatening than a splinter.

Two more arrows pierced through the air with deafening whistles and hit it on the hind legs. The retriever roared in anguish, the sound threatening to puncture River's eardrums.

"This attack is classified under 'gentle breez' in our arsenal."

Wolfram shouted over the screech of the retriever,not even trying to mask his disappointment. He had a valid argument. The arrows weren't doing shi-

The arrow in its eye exploded with a boom that sent shockwaves through the air. The other four arrows followed suit, rattling the ground under their feet with each thundering blast. River's heart squeezed in terror at the memory of Aithan Alistair pointing one of these arrows at Shu Huxley .

There had been hesitation in his gaze. He was fully prepared to blast the Northern general in to dust.

Chunks of flesh and sinew scattered in all directions, and blood rained down on the hilltop, covering every surface in the thick, cool,cool golden liquid.

This was divine essence.

This was the blood that ran in Heavenly Beasts and Gods. The power River lacked his whole life; it was raining down on him, dripping down his hair and his face.

It smelled sickeningly sweet, unlike the blood of humans, which smelled disgusting. River let his curiosity win and gingerly parted his lips,trying to taste the blood dripping down them.

But then he tasted rust.

The nauseating stench of blood hit his nostrils with such force that it sent his head reeling. He stared down to see his whole person covered in slick, warm crimson blood-the previous golden glory gone.

This was the deterioration.

According to the scriptures, divine essence could not maintain its original form outside of a divine body for more than three heartbeats. Its power will deteriorate, reducing the elixir of immortality to mere warm,crimson blood. This ensured that the essence didn't fall into mortal hands to be abused.

He had read that the divine essence of Heavenly Beasts was not compatible with humans and could even act as mild poison-a fun fact he had forgotten when he tried to lick it up a few seconds ago.

He heard Wolfram groaning in disgust and turned to see him drenched in blood,just like he was. His visage was contorted like he was regretting his snide remark just minutes ago.

"Just when I thought today couldn't get any better" he sighed and shuddered.

The once fearsome creature now laid in pieces, a macabre testament to the power unleashed upon it. River gazed at it, feeling the contents of his stomach gushing upwards.

Kaizer Schulz's pallid face caught his eye. His mouth hung in a soundless scream, his eyes bulging in both disbelief and rage.He seemed to shaken to his core at how soundly he was defeated.

The hound howled, bothered by its master's ire. The two heads wailed in harmony, the sound foreboding and melancholy.

River had a very omnious feeling.