Chapter 6- Meet the Verlices!

Authors note
The chapters will be longer from this point on.
--------------------------------------------------------
"Sarva Yearwood," the guard at the doors, announced River's arrival, harnessing the full power of his diaphragm, "From Queensend."

He proceeded to hand over the invitation-the white envelope containing his assumed name and origin for the night-to another guard to carry away.

Anxiety gripped River as the gravity of the situation hit him.

He was really here! In the banquet!

He stood at the grand doors of the opulent banquet hall and stared around, his exhilaration elevating to impossible heights the sight in front of him. It was like a whole new world, where everything was bright and sparkly.

The lavishly adorned hall was resplendent with cascading, embroided draperies and sparkling chandeliers. Tables were draped in rich fabrics and hosted an abundance of delicacies and liquor. The air was filled with the mouth-watering smell of food and the headache-inducing mix of everyone's perfume.

A few heads turned his way, but they all soon went to their own wine and joyful conversations. There were about two hundred guests, each dressed more extravagantly than the other. If he felt overdressed before, that feeling dissolved quickly.

Music flowed, guests chattered and laughed in hushed voices, clinking their glasses and utensils, while a group of dancers entertained them. Maids roamed about, making sure no one's glass ran empty. It seemed the food was yet to be served.

River fisted the fabric of his dress, which was suddenly feeling way too sweaty. His palms were on the opposite extreme, feeling icy cold.

Why don't you run away?

He scanned the hall. Everyone was minding their own business, not paying attention to him. He could technically walk out of the hall right now, then out of the palace, never to return again.

But he knew better. The security tonight had no blind spots. The king and the queen must have ordered them to keep an eye on him. He will be dragged back into the house arrest, three seconds into bolting out. Instead of embarrassing himself in that manner, he would rather enjoy the night.

It was his niece's birthday, after all. Escaping house arrest could wait.

At the far end of the hall was a platform, a few steps high, reserved for the Verlices. On it sat Lucian Verlice, the king; Elva Verlice, the High Priestress, on his right; and Mireya Huxley, the queen, on his left.

River froze in his tracks at the sight of them, his whole body weighed down in unease. He liked them as much as they liked him,which was not at all.

River's blue eyes darted around the hall, trying to find a trace of his brother or his family, which proved to be impossible. River steeled his nerves and decided to get the most unpleasant part of the night out of the way first: greeting the host.

He navigated the length of the hall, cautious not to bump into anyone. A maid offered him wine on the way, which he politely rejected. When asked where the prince was, the maid pointed in a direction and hurried away.

Valour was with Ayla. Azize was fast asleep in his arms, her adorable face squished against his chest. He wore his formal set of white robes embroided in gold, conversing with a man and a young woman.

The man had a thick black beard covering his face. He was noticeably balding in the front of his head and had a burly figure. A sword hung by his waist. He wore a red velvet shirt with golden buttons and chains, paired with black boots and pants. The insignia of a golden desert owl shone on his shoulders.