Sacrifice

River licked his chapped lips and tasted salt.

He raised his hands to brush his hair out of his face , the heavy golden shackles clanking with his every movement .

"You have the prettiest hair"

When they chop my head off ,I hope they chop all my hair with it .

River held a palm over his eyes to shield them from the merciless sun . He wished it would at least rain heavily today ,so he could have a dramatic exit from life but there was not a single stray cloud to be seen in the vast expanse of azure.

The weathered shrine of Vorine loomed infront of him . Its tall windows rattled in the salt laden wind ,sounding like they were weeping . The structure was a mighty god on a hill, watching over Salkow as the cerulean below payed homage by crashing rhythmically in to rugged cliffs.

River closed his eyes. He felt calm , too calm .

He had lead the procession from Wesown to the shrine in Salkow. The West King and High priestress had walked  behind him.

Kaizer Schulz wore a simple blue robe , his crown absent.  He was no king infront of god . It was River who wore a golden crown ,its neck- breaking weight forcing his head down in to submission . He could not look up, he could not look behind . He could only look down at his dirtied ,bloodied ,chained feet.

He was followed by a troop of heavily armed soldiers , like he was a criminal that had commited unspeakable crimes. He had walked in this shameful manner for two days. The people came flooding to watch him and stood on either side of streets. River could not see their faces , only their feet.

They fell to their knees at the sight of the procession and bowed. Some prayed soundly. They were not bowing to their king . They were bowing to him . To the sacrifice.

People threw gold at him , strewing his path to death in shimmering precious metal. Ones who could not afford gold threw flowers. Some sang to him. Some offered him wine and fruit by the side of the road.

River Verlice had many thoughts during the parade. They emerged and died in his mind at such a blurring speed that he could not hold on to one solid thought for long.

But mostly he thought ,

Why?

Why ? Why? Why?

Why had he trusted Wolfram Schulz?

*        *       *        *         *        *       *     *

"Wipe that down too "

If Im doing the work load of a maid , at least pay me like one too!

River vigorously rubbed his rug on Einar's tool shelf , trying to get rid of stubborn  oil and rust stains. They were finally cleaning their workroom before one of them trip,fall and spilt their skull open on a sharp tool.

"We should find you a nice girl soon "

River snapped his head to look at his master.

Old man , why are you in such a hurry to marry me off? 

"Is there anyone you like ?" Einar grinned from where he sat on a window ledge , swinging his skeletal legs.

What are you ? A school girl?

"No," River deadpanned. Dealing with Einar's prying questions about love life was like trying to tame wild horses – the faster you wrangled the reins, the fewer awkward hoofprints you left behind.