peanut pawns 2

"That told me everything I needed to know." He crushed the peanut in his hands and slammed his fist on the last one with a bang, obliterating it as well.

 "North hasthe other piece, and it's in Queensend"

Raven shivered a little in his seat and inched away from River. "Smart people are fucking scary."

"If I figured that out, Kaizer must have done so ages ago. He believes I have one, maybe mostly because he knows my family has the other."

River sighed and turned to Valor. "Is Kaizer in North, now?"

Valor shook his head grimly. "He apparently can't travel right now. He sent a missive and an envoy."

"I have a strong feeling that it must be a dislocated hip bone, a missing brother and a sick friend." River muttered under his breath, his skin pebbling at the memory of the silver-haired king crawling out of the sea of fire.

"Sooner or later, he will stop playing niceties and send an army of eight foot, six eyed monsters to attack North and Lucian Verlice knows it."

 River tapped his fingers rhythmically, eyes hooded in both thoughtfulness and exhaustion. "Kaizer Schulz really is one shove away from burning the world down."

River turned to Raven, abruptly. "Where were we supposed to dock? If storm didn't change our path?"

"Seafort" Raven answered, flatly.

"Father sent a small army to Seafort to attack Alistairs and capture you the minute you step on dry land." Valor stated in a small voice, seemingly having all his energy siphoned out of him. 

"Luckily Aithan Alistair sent a confidential missive to me and me only, informing the change of locations. That's how I convinced Alistair to come meet me before proceeding any further and rushed here." Valor picked at his fingernails. 

Don't look so guilty, courageous one.

"That's no luck." River smirked knowingly. "Aithan has great foresight. He probably saw through my father's word vomit of a missive about negotiations and fair trial.

" River tapped the bar top on a faster pace, the noise in harmony with Valor's foot tapping. "I have a feeling that no matter how brilliant this hide-in-plain-sight plan is, you're being followed, Val—likely by your uncle."

"I want you to leave North,Fuuko" Valor pleaded. "Go with Alistair. If father gets to you – "

"Lucian Verlice believes I have a metal piece; he wants to take it from me before handing me off to Kaizer who will send my head rolling before I can get a word in." River rubbed his temple, feeling an oncoming headache. 

"That way, he will have Salkow, and two metal pieces. Two birds down with one good -for- nothing child. Am I right?"

"How did you-"Valor's jaw went slack, his eyes growing to the size of saucers.

"I strongly advice against deceiving Kaizer Schulz." River tried to keep the sense of urgency away from his even toned voice. Then he shrugged, nonchalantly. "But who am I to advice oh -so great Verlices?"

"Their second prince" Valor said without missing a beat, determination evident in his voice only to earn a scornful glance from his younger brother.

River's voice dropped to a steel cold tone, and he whispered "They have only one prince and that's you, Val. I am a bargaining chip at my best days and a fucking doormat on others."

Both men seemed to be greatly taken aback to hear River swear so casually. Raven clapped a hand over his mouth, muffling a horrified squeal. Valor's eyes brimmed with tears again and the next second he was sniffling like a widow into Raven's shoulder. The Southern king awkwardly patted him on the back, in a poor attempt to calm him down, with no avail.