Chapter 15

The tax officer lead them out of the office, through dimly lit corridors, all the while speaking very highly of Aithan Alistair.

"Lord Aithan could have been a promising king, had he fought in the Southern Ring Battle" he spoke emotionally.

"I agree " Raven said, his voice heavy with mischief. He was cooking something up, River was sure. It was only common sense that one should not voice their controversial opinions about royal families in public. But the tax officer kept talking.

"The new king is a disaster" he shook his head in dissapointment "no one knows about his origins or upbringing.He just showed up on the day of battle ,like a wind , and slayed all 11 heirs down !"

He lowered his voice to a whisper as if he was afraid that someone might be listening.

"I heard he is a tryant. They say he acts like a demon when he is crossed"

Good sir, please shut up.

"Oooooooooh "Raven gasped dramatically " How aweful "

"Dont tell anyone I told you this , Im telling you because you are under Lord Aithan and he has my repect " he fumbled around his pockets looking for keys.

Why are you still talking ,sir?.Do you have a death wish?

"If you have to work directly under him in the future , watch your head. He might wrench it off bare handed"

He jammed the key in to the keyhole "He has ears everywhere , one must be extremely careful. I trust these gentlemen"

"Your advice is much appreciated officer" Raven smiled sweetly.

Tax officer guided them to a inner room and opened it with another set of keys. He pushed open the heavy wooden door .

As soon as the door opened River was hit with a wave of palpable energy. He grabbed Raven 's sleeve in panic.

Raven narrowed his eye at him. "What?"

"I dont know . I feel something " he clutched at his chest . It was like a mist with a weight , smothering him , crushing his lungs. He started seeing bright spots in his vision from how intense it was .

"If you are sick, stay outside " Raven regarded him with annoyance.

"Ill be ok , lets proceed My lord"

They walked to a corner where the hundred gold rods were stacked on each other in four neat piles. River felt the sense of being hit in the face with an invicible force growing the closer he stepped . River wanted nothing but to break in to a frantic run and get away from this golden monstrosity .

River's heart beat kicked up, galloping in his ribcage . Bile rose in his throat. He wiped his clammy hands together, trying to stop them from trembling. It was hard to discern what he was feeling. Such magnitude of fear, anxiety and panic was alien to him.

"If you want to throw up , go out for fucks sake " Raven urged .

"Im quite alright My Lord " he assured through gritted teeth. It was evident that no one else in the room felt anything. Maybe he was just exhausted and overwhelmed from past day's events.Yes, it must be that, he is finally crashing from stress.

But a deep, dark, animal like instinct whispered in his head that no , it was the gold . It scraemed ,begging that he had to get away from them as fast as he could.

Raven picked up a rod from the pile. It was as long as a forearm and looked quite heavy .He passed the thick cylinder from one hand to the other, estimating its weight.He then suddenly shoved it at River, apparently wanting him to hold it.