Beach

"Have you been to beach?"

Raven Alistair, as usual was speeding ahead, leaving River in his dust. His hands were buried deep in his pockets as his head turned this way and that, taking in the scenery around them. His long, booted legs crunched the gravel under them.

The man had invited River for a 'walk'.

By walk he meant strolling relaxingly while River ran briskly, huffing and panting, to keep up with him. He even had the audacity to make small talk while at it, throwing random questions over his shoulder at the struggling boy.

Gasping for breath, River shook his head and managed to reply between ragged breaths, "I haven't, My Lord."

Raven Alistair pivoted abruptly to face the younger boy, and River jogged right into his chest with a thud.

"What?" River rubbed his forehead, scowling up at him.

"Don't call me that, brat" Raven chided, flicking his already reddened forehead. "Is it that hard to call my fucking name?"

Yes, I don't want people to think we are close. What will happen to my reputation?

"Lord Alistair?" River changed the address.

Raven scrunched up his nose and resumed swaggering faster, if possible. "That's what you call my brother."

"That is not true" River hastened his pace, so they were walking side by side "He is Lord Aithan."

Raven scoffed "see?"

See what? What is your problem?

"Captain?" River tried again after few minutes of awkward silence. Seeing how Raven shook his disapprovingly, River rolled his eyes.

"Ok, what would you call me if we were close friends?" Raven scratched the back of his neck and looked at him in anticipation.

Away. I'll call you away from my life.

River cleared his throat "I don't use such familiarities."

"Oh! Go fuck yourself"! Raven jokingly hit him across the back, sending him stumbling forward, knocked out of breath. "Don't you fucking yap all day? Wolfy, Wolfy .."

River furrowed his brows, unamused at Raven's distasteful, high-pitched mimicry of his voice. "Do you break out in hives if you don't swear?"

"My bad" Raven chuckled, tipping his head up like a haughty mistress "Goeth and fucketh thyself"

River huffed at his theatrics, biting back a laughter.

They sauntered in the direction of the sea, following the familiar scent of salt. The crowd thinned the farther they went. The racket of rowdy sailors hushed into a distant mumble, replaced by the soothing bellow of the ocean. The gravel gave away to fine, golden sand that sank under their weight. They ambled along in comfortable silence, leaving a trail of footprints in their wake.

Raven guided River further away from the harbor until they found a small, desolated patch of sandy clearing, obscured by a range of boulders. Waves rolled in, one after another, eager to kiss the shore. They lingered for a fleeting moment, loathing to part, like two lovers being forced apart by the world. Azure expanse of the horizon merged seamlessly with the skyline in a loving embrace, as if mocking the tragic fate of waves and the shore.

Alerted by a shift at his side, River glanced over to find Raven sprawled on the ground, wrestling with his foot. He clawed at the lace of his leather black boots, grunting.

"What are you doing?" River tilted his head, like a bamboozled pigeon.

Raven's slender fingers worked through the skillfully tied knot, loosening it. "Take a fucking guess."