Malia

"Let me guess "  Raven Alistair looked down at the blue eyed man from the lofty perch on his black mare. "Missy dont know how to ride a horse"

River, who had spent nearly 19 years in house arrest ,indeed had no clue how to ride a horse. The animal, named Darcy ,was tall and intimidating . It was neighing loudly and kicking its legs ,appearantly in disapproval of River. Quite honestly, he didnt like Darcy either.

River had spent three days in bed , resting and studying the books Aithan had brought him. There was a diverse array of volumes on historical languages, culture and politics.

After much debate between the brothers, it was decided that Aithan Alistair  would travel back to Capital Sandgill. There were mountains of missives and documemts piling up at Azure Fort office that Aithan needed to sort, examine and stamp. If he were to stay two more days away from his duties , entire economical infrastructure of South would undoubtedly  collapse.

The idea of having to travel alone with Raven Alistair for the foreseeable fufure filled River with existential dread. He agreed , simply because he was not given an option. But there was no telling how well they  would get along without Aithan there to smooth things over.

Aithan helped him pack his things, checked his injuries and changed the dressing the morning they set out. He then took River's palm and turned it  over.  A bright light flooded River's vision and he felt a slight burning sensation on his hand.

"If you ever find yourself in trouble ," he said, pointing at the black sigil of a serpant coiling around his fourth finger. "Release the seal . Ill come find you"

River looked up at him, eyes wide with gratitude. They had only known each other  for a few short days but Aithan had been nothing but kind to him. He reminded him of Valour in more than one way.

"Stay close to His Majesty" he adviced. "Dont hesitate to impliment physical
force on him ,if he acts out of line"

Are you seriously giving me permission to beat your King?

They were supposed to commute on horseback. Three horses were prepared, but River now stood awkwardly at side, clueless on how to mount it without giving himself another eight stitches. Southern king cackled at his despair making River consider the idea of pulling him off his mare.

Aithan walked over and held Darcy's reigns.

"If he cant , let him ride with you " He said.

Id rather pay the horse to kick me off its back and run me over.

Raven made a face .

"That's hardly appropriate Lord Ai-"

Aithan slid his hands under River's arms , lifted him like he weighed nothing and sat him on the straddle  behind Raven.

I do not consent to this!

"Hold on tight" he patted River's leg. "Depart at once," He bowed to Raven "Your Majesty"

"Im counting on you,Aithan " Raven gave him a very rare genuine smile "Be safe "

He gave Darcy a kick on her side and they galloped away .

*            *           *              *           *         *

" Are you fucking sure that flimsy thing is working?" Raven grunted.

They have traveled westward all day, only stopping for a short break around noon. Dusk had fallen around them but the pointer of the compass still refused to budge from its stubborn position.