River becomes a disciple

"The trick lies in meticulous control over the temperature " Einer said through cough " and metal propotions "

Einer Ashford had offered River a tour to his workshop and armory which he readily accepted .  They left a very distraught  Wolfram behind with Kaizer in his office , giving them privacy to discuss their matters.

Emby wanted to join them. When Kaizer answered no, he started throwing a tantrum in a very five year old fashion until Kaizer dismissed him with a "Do whatever you want , dont make trouble for your uncle "

He was now obediantly strolling beside Einer clutching his bony hand. River had offered to carry him multiple times, mortivated purely by his desire to hold the precious bundle. But he shook his head and shied away from this odd older brother.

When River first started reading books in Arcton Library to pass his time in house arrest , he started with classical fictions. He did not enjoyed them. Then he turned to romance . They were worse.

He started reading history and politics and got hooked. But soon River found himself running out of history books to read.

Thats when he discovered a dusty, original hand written volume of "Illustrated catalogue of weaponry "
abandoned on a bottom shelf. River flipped through the yellowed, dog eared pages of detailed hand drawn pictures.

River would give anything to go through that book again for the first time.

Being in house arrest , he was never taught any swordsmanship or matial skills. So weapons were only a distant concept to him until then. But the inked pages of that book ignited a passion in him that would burn through years and years to come .

He ran his fingers on the labelled diagrams, feeling the author's love and passion for the swords and daggers and spears through the pages.

When he was done marvelling over it, he found another ,thick book by the same author named "Art of warcraft"

The book was about battle strategy and formation. It went in to depths about hand to hand combat, long range attacks and then to utilizing naval and  infantry forces in a war. Needless to say, it widened River's horizon's a great deal.

Over the years he continued to gobble up every book written by Einar  Ashford.  "How not to do a war ; examples from history "  was his personal favourite , the strategy book with comical commentry from author has he pointed out every rookie mistake in previous generation's wars. There is also "Build your own sword " which got him in to actually forging his first dagger out of an obsedian block.

He never knew who Einar Ashford was. River actually assumed him to be a dead author. But he worshipped his work and likewise idolized the man for his bottomless wisdom about the battlefield.

So when River met him in Kaizer Schulz office earlier he felt as if he was going to pass out in excitement. The man he had believed to be a literary legend of the past was alive ! And he was going to show him his workroom!

I must have spent an entire life's worth of luck for this! Luck well spent!

"Im glad to meet someone who is also passionate about this field " Einar grinned at River, eyes sparkling " No one around here appreciate my work"

Master ! Take me as your deciple !

"Wolfy is a healer, Kai doesnt wield a weapon , Emby is too young" he ruffled the boy's head lovingly.  He then sighed dramatically "Emby , grow up soon ,will ya ? So uncle can make you a sword "

The child nodded vigorously " Okie"

When River learned that Einar was Kaizer Schulz's advicer and childhood friend , his whole world view refocused. No wander everyone hesistated to mess with West. This man was the brains behind West's inpenetrable military forces.