Wolfram Explains

"He he he."

Wolfram fidgeted with the high collar of his robes. "Please don't glare at me like that."

River lowered his head at his friend, his blue eyes glinting as he smiled toothily. "Humor me. And please, do start from the top."

Wolfram shifted his weight from one foot to another and got engrossed in chipping at his nail paint.

They were inside their shared cabin on the ship—a small, sunny room on the deck with a picturesque view of the uneventful expanse of the azure ocean. Furnished with two comfortable beds and a mahogany table, the cozy room was a perfect blend of warm ambience with a touch of luxury. A maid had brought in new,dry clothes and food for them, making sure they settled in comfortably for the long journey.

Aithan had failed spectacularly to send River fitting clothes again. The black pair of loose pants hung dangerously low on River's hips, plotting a surprise decent to his ankles any minute. The white shirt, on the contrary, was way too short. River found himself torn between having to constantly pull his pants up and his shirt down to keep his dignity intact.

Wolfram was sent a set of soft pink robes, a color River had never seen him in before. River thought it was a rather fitting color palette for Wolfram as it gave him an adorable, youthful aura, unlike his usual cold, blue garments. He had not fallen victim to Aithan's fashion crime, as his robes somehow fitted him like a glove, better than his own custom-tailored robes.

Most of the injuries River acquired during the day were healed thanks to Wolfram, but he still had a muted ache in his fractured knee and a hazardous amount of questions to ask his friend.

"You are mad," Wolfram started, a shameful blush creeping back into his face. "which is understandable. But I never meant harm."

"You lied to me." River sighed.

"Yes, I had to." Wolfram brought his nails to his mouth, grazing dark blue nail paint with his front teeth. "Kai would have literally killed me if I returned to Wesown empty-handed."

"Why does Lord Schulz need these metal pieces?"

Wolfram shook his head solemnly. "He never told me."

"Six months ago, he sent a group of undercover intelligence agents to Saltstand and Capital Sangil to keep an eye on Alistair," Wolfram explained, his gaze still fixated on his nails. "I don't know for sure, but I think that God had promised him something in exchange for the treasure Alistair brought back from his voyage."

River felt the crease between his brows deepening. "Then?"

"There were originally two pieces of metal, but he couldn't find their whereabouts after they were pawned off at Saltstand."

River tapped a finger on his knee thoughtfully. Despite Kaizer's hawk-like watch, Wedigoes managed to snatch one of the pieces from under his nose. Then, what became of the second piece?

"Kaizer combed through all four nations looking for them, like a bloody hound, but the search turned up empty. He planted spies in every region and every castle and even deployed some of the beasts under his command."

"And? "

"Then we heard of the tax increase in the East. That, paired with the intel about unnatural deaths in Werth Citadel, gave us a vague idea that maybe Wendigoes were holding on to them. "

"Then you threatened them with war?" River inquired.

"Kai was hellbent on getting his hands on them." Wolfram hissed, his eyes going wide at the memory of his older brother. "Do you think anyone can gather enough wits to deny him anything when there's a giant, fire-spitting monster looming behind them?"