S1 EP3: The Unquiet Dead Part 1

A man in 19th Century clothes walks towards a gas light holding a match stick that has been lit. He turns a dial and uses the match to light it up, as another man walks slowly up to a coffin in the background. The man blows out the stick and starts to walk towards the middle of the room "Sneed and Company offer their sincerest condolences, sir, in this most trying hour." the older man says.

"Grandmama had a good innings, Mr Sneed. She was so full of life, I can't believe she's gone." the younger man admits.

"Not gone, Mr Redpath, sir. Merely sleeping." Mr Sneed tells him.

"May I have a moment?"

"Yes, of course. I shall be in the next, er, room should you require anything." Mr Sneed points towards the door before leaving the room.

Mr Redpath being left on his own smiles at the lady in the coffin, placing his hands on the coffin as he looks over her. The lady's face is covered by a blue light, not noticed by the man who has now closed his eyes trying not to cry, before its gone again. The woman opens her eyes and grabs Mr Redpath's neck choking him, in a panic he knocks over a plant in a vase.

In hearing the vase smash Mr Sneed walks through the door "Oh, no!" he shakes his head at what he's witnessing. He quickly walks over to the coffin "No!" he says trying to help the chocking man, but he's too late as the woman breaks his neck and he falls to the ground. The man proceeds to push the lady down and tries to cover her with the lid to the coffin "Gwyneth! Get down here now! We've got another one!" he shouts as the woman pushes on the lid and knocks him to the ground. She busts the side of the coffin and slowly rises and leaves the chapel. She walks outside in the snow ghostly moaning as light can be seen in her mouth.

___________

In the Tardis the Doctor, Rose and the Captain are controlling the machine. "Hold that one down!" the Captain says.

"I'm holding this one down!" Rose shoots back.

"Well, hold them both down!" he returns.

"It's not gonna work." she states.

"Oi! We promised you a time machine! And that's what you're getting. Now that you've seen the future, let's have a look at the past... 1860... How does 1860 sound?" the Captain asks.

"What happened in 1860?" Rose asks him.

"I don't know. Let's find out! Hold on... here we go!" he smiles.

___________

"Gwyneth!" Mr Sneed shouts dabbing his head with a handkerchief. "Where are you, girl?" he shouts. "Gwyneth! Where've you been? I was shouting."

"Been in the stable breaking the ice for Samson."

"Well, get back in there and harness him up!"

"Whatever for, sir?"

"The stiffs are getting lively again. Mr Redpath's grandmother, she's up and on her feet, and out there somewhere, on the streets, we've got to find her."

"Mr Sneed, for shame, how many more times? It's ungodly!"

"Don't look at me like it's MY fault. Now come on, hurry up, she was 86, she can't have got far!"

"What about Mr Redpath? Did you deal with him?"

"No. She did." he turns around.

"That's awful, sir. I know it's not my place, and please forgive me for talking out of term, sir, but this thing is getting beyond now. Something terrible is happening in this house and we've got to get help." she softly says.