Threshing

Chapter 9

Threshing

October 1rst was Threshing Day. Lily had her sword on her back and daggers all over body. She was ready for it. Ridoc was currently puking all his food up against a tree as Rhiannon stretches. Lily and Violet stood side to side.

"You ready for this?" Violet asked.

"Yes." Lily said. Violet and Lily bumped arms.

"Remember to listen here." Kaori said from the front of 147 of them, tapping his chest. "If a dragon has already selected you, they'll be calling. So pay attention to not just your surroundings but your feelings and go with them. And if your feelings are telling you to go in the other direction listen to that, too."

"Which one are you two going for?" Rhiannon asked.

"I'm going for the blue one." Lily said.

"Not surprised there." Rhiannon said.

"I don't know." Violet said, shaking her head.

"You memorized the cards, right? So, you know what's out there?" Rhiannon asked.

"Yes. I just don't feel connected to any of them. Dain tried talking me into a brown." Violet said.

"Dain lost his vote when he tried talking you into leaving." Lily said. Violet nodded. Lily looked at Rhiannon. "What about you?"

"I'm thinking about that green. The one closest to me when they got all up close and personal with you." Rhiannon said.

"Well, it didn't eat you, so that's a promising start." Violet said. Lily smiled.

"I think so, too." Rhiannon said, linking arms with Lily and Violet. The three had become close.

"If you go in groups, you're more likely to be incinerated than bonded. The scribes have run the statistics. You're better off on your own." Kaori said.

"And what if we aren't chosen for dinner?" A man calls.

"If you're not chosen by nightfall, there's a problem. You'll be brought out by a Professor or senior leadership, so don't give up and think we've forgotten about you." Kaori said. He checks his watch. "Remember to spread out and use every foot of this valley to your advantage. It's nine, which means they should be flying in any minute now. The only other words I have for you are good luck." Kaori leaves.

"Be careful you two." Rhiannon said, pulling the twins into a hug.

"You as well." Lily said.

"You too." Violet said. Ridoc hugs them as well.

"Don't die." Ridoc said.

"I don't plan on it." Lily said. Violet and Rhiannon agree. Everyone separates. Lily felt a pull in her chest towards a meadow not far from the start. Her long silver hair was pulled back into a braid today.

Lily's heart raced when she saw the beautiful navy-blue dragon sitting in the field. Her breath hitched in her chest. The dragon was beautiful, and it had a Morningstar tail. As if it sensed Lily coming towards her, it turned its head and Lily froze.

'I'm not gonna hurt you, little one.' A female voice came in Lily's head. Lily's eyes widen. 'I won't burn you.'

"You're speaking to me." Lily said, walking up to the blue dragon. The gold eyes following her every move.

'Well of course. You're my rider.' Lily smiled big. 'My name is Lyssa. I am the daughter of Tairn and Sgaeyl.' Lyssa said. Lily froze.

"Your Riorson's dragons daughter?" Lily said. Lyssa nodded.