Fight

Chapter 31

Fight

Xaden seemed relieved to see his whole squad ready for the fight. Lily had been itching for a fight since she joined Basgiath. Her fingertips glazed the handle of her dagger on thigh.

"Liam. Give me a report." Xaden said, turning towards the battlements. Liam moves to Xaden's side and focuses.

"The Fliers are engaged, all seven-six of them. Looks like they're tyring to draw five away from civilians, but damn, the venin are wielding a kind of fire I've never seen among riders. Three surround the city, and one is making his way toward a structure in the middle. A clock tower." Liam explained. Xaden nods. Garrick and Soleil will be doing a perimeter sweep for reconnaissance while everyone else was to target the venin on various sides of Resson, keeping an eye on the advance on the clock tower.

"The only way to take them out is by dagger." Xaden said.

"That means we'll have to dismount and fight once we get the townspeople to whatever safety we can find." Garrick said. His face was set in grim lines. "Don't throw your only weapons unless you're certain of your aim." Xaden nods.

"Save as many people as you can. Let's go." Xaden orders. They made their way down the steps and through the silent courtyard. Garrick and Lily walked side by side. They emerged from the outpost. Their dragons were waiting, all perched on the edge of the ridgeline, shifting their weight in agitation as they survey the trading post Lily and Garrick come up to stand in front of their dragons and looked out. Smoke was coming from the trading post. Lyssa was shifting her weight as in eager to jump into a fight.

'Someone is a little eager.' Lily said as Lyssa brought her head down to Lily's side.

'We all are. Don't try and fall off, Little one." Lyssa growled in her head. Lily scratched Lyssa in her favorite spot.

'I won't.' Lily told her. Lyssa's claws dug deep into the dirt. Garrick comes up to her.

"Stay with Lyssa. Turn invisible if you need to. I'll check in through the bond here and there." Garrick said.

"You be careful as well." Lily said. Garrick cups her face. He leans down to kiss her.

A screech rends the air. Lily and Garrick turn. Lily gasped as an enormous gray dragon emerges from a valley two ridgelines to the south.

"Do we have a riot nearby?" Lily whispered.

"No." Garrick said. The dragon shrieks again, spewing a streak of blue fire down the mountainside. Blue fire?

"Wyvern." Lily whispered. Garrick swore. "It has two legs, not four. It's not a dragon. It's a wyvern." Lily said. Lily couldn't believe it. The stories her and her siblings loved as children were coming to life in front of her.

"Well, there went our air superiority. Fuck them. They can die, too." Imogen said, next to Garrick.

'They have created abominations.' Lyssa said, a low growl coming from her chest.

'I'm gonna need a long hot bath after this.' Lily told Garrick. He chuckled.

"Guess we know all the details now." Liam said.

"Anyone want to change their minds?" Xaden said. No one answered. "No? Then mount up." Lily turned and headed for Lyssa's leg and quickly climbed up. She settled on Lyssa's back and she looked to see Garrick already mounted. Violet was getting on Tairn. Sgaeyl launches into the air first with Tairn right behind her. Lily grabbed on as Lyssa launched in the air. Chradh was right behind Lyssa.