Chapter Two

“I’ve got some tenants.”, Aunt Anne took me and led me to the stairs where I found out there were other rooms. I had no idea if they were occupied. “Is it alright if we’ll just share the same room?”

“Why yes.”, I replied. I mean she was the one being hospitable who am I to complain. Sharing the same room wasn’t a big deal, I once shared mine with my puppy, Noodles. We turned  to the left where there was only one room, it could be a huge one. Aunt Anne twisted the knob of her door, and there laid two beds at both of the corners of the room, a big wardrobe, probably three, times bigger than the one we’ve got at home. I dropped my things on the bed, ran to the window covered by pretty purple drapes, I lifted them and I could see the whole street. It was a great view. All of the people looked so happy that I was hoping I could go strolling down there, doing their stuff.

“Actually, I’m about to make dinner. You can go out if you want to. Just be back before six.”. I heard Aunt Anne said. 

I took off my coat, and changed it with a sweatshirt. My hair has been braided neatly in one place since the trip, I decided to keep it that way. I went down the stairs, filled with anticipation, I stepped out of the house. 

Hello ev’ryone!!!, my mind screamed. I could just visit every store and see what  each one got. The food, they say the scouse is fab, I’d like to try. But it was the mouth-watering smell of breads from the bakery attracted me. I could do by store -to-store visit, maybe later. After I stuff myself with pastries! I happened to have some money left. Good thing I chose to bring jelly beans for my trip instead of spending  for snacks. 

I went to the bakery, sticking my face on the glass window  showing  a display of assorted goodies. I hurriedly went inside. Seeing them without a glass as a barrier was a lot better.

“Just in time, child.”, reckoned a fat-bellied man in an apron. “The last bunch of my famous cinnamon rolls”.

“Hey guv!”, a man who just came in called. He was referring to the baker. “I’m takin’ your dearest rolls.”

  “Wait a minute, sonny. But that  girl over there would like some too.”, I saw the baker pointing at me.

  “Oh..”, the man turned to me.  ”Then I guess we’ll take ‘em together then.”

My eyes twitched. That was a bit annoying you see. “Never mind. I was just looking. Anyways, I think those rolls are delicious.”, I began to walk away.

“Whoa!”, the man stopped me by blocking my way. I gawked at him. He must be a  year or two older than me, I could tell by the way he dressed up. His jacket almost similar to Paul’s. In fact, they’ve got the same style. From the way they fixed their hair. Almost looking like twins. Except this man was a bit skinny compared to Paul. 

"Thank you, but no.”, I said and left. I never hated him, but I was quite embarrassed. Maybe because I seemed like a famished child to him when I hungrily stared at those scrumptious stuffs.

  When I got back, Auntie Anne had just finished making dinner so I set the table. “So?”, she asked. “Did you meet anyone?”

  I sat down and paused. Aside from Paul and that guy at the bakery, no one else. I shook my head. I guess it wasn’t a such good idea to go out there all one. If only I could do something, some work, to keep myself busy. Doing nothing but parading alone, surely, I would be bored in a week. I put  a scoop of mashed potatoes on my plate and drank on my cup of tea, I’ve lost my appetite. It happens most of the time, when I’m thinking of something.

  “If I’ve got time, I’ll take you to a boutique and buy you a new dress.What do you say?”, she handed me a bowl of greens which I refused to take.

 “That would be great.”, I nodded. In the middle of our dinner, the telephone rang. I stood up and went to the living room to pick it up.

  “Hello?”, I answered.

“Hannah? Is that you?”, the voice said.

  “P-Papa?”

  “Hey baby, how are you?”, hearing my father’s voice, I began thinking how was he doing at this time, which made me miss him suddenly.

“I’m fine. Aunt Anne is very nice to me,”. I wanted to tell him what happened to me back at the train station, how I met a new friend, but as I was about to speak again, the line was cut. “Hello? Papa?”, no answer came. I went back to the table and finished my food. Did Papa went off in purpose? Didn’t he want us to talk?

“Was it your father?”, Aunt Anne started fixing.

“Yes.”, I wanted to hold my tears. “I’m going to bed now.” I left the kitchen and headed upstairs, passing by a few rooms who knows, were occupied by tenants. There, by the window, right where the moon was gleaming over the city, I let go of the tears I couldn’t hide anymore. I hadn’t even thought that the tenants might hear my sobs. I didn’t know if I was crying because I missed my father and the chance I could talk to him, ruined. Or if I was going back of becoming a crybaby again. Great day to start a week here in Liverpool, my enthusiasm I had was gone.