Chapter Ten

"Can we talk?", he asked again.

 I stepped back and opened the door wider. "Come inside."

 Paul took off his hat and sat down in the couch. Aunt Anne came embracing him like she hadn't seen him in ages. "How come you haven't visited me for a long time?", she grumbled like a child.

 "I'm sorry about that, Ms. Grant.", Paul smirked, giving back his embrace to Aunt Anne.

 "Oh I just want to know.", Aunt Anne let go of Paul but stayed on the couch. "You must be very tired from your trip."

 "I'll make tea.", I suggested. I didn't know what Paul wanted to say anyway and I guess him and Aunt Anne had a lot to talk about.

 "But I've been wanting to speak to you.", Paul held me back.

 "I'll do it.", Aunt Anne scurried to the kitchen.

 Paul turned to me and asked, "What made us stop from being together?"

 I couldn't think of an answer. What does he mean? I couldn't recall having dispute with him, it was just that. We hadn't spoken to one another.

 "You're not mad, are you?", he asked.

 "Why would I?", I remained still.

 Paul leaned forward, closing his palms. "Then why don't you talk and laugh like before like the few days after we met"

  I knew Paul would ask me a thing like this and to tell the truth, I got no relevant excuse for the sudden change of my behavior towards him. I had no idea what to tell him either. "I-I'm sorry..", my hands were becoming sweaty. "I..You won't probably understand.", but I owed him an apology for everything. That if it weren't for me becoming stubborn, the situation wouldn't had gotten here. There would be no confrontation.

 "I think I will, if you'll just tell me.", Paul assured.

 Aunt Anne came with a tray of kettle and tea cups. Immediately, I rose  and took Paul's arm and said, "Paul has to go, Aunt Anne."

"What?", Aunt Anne reacted in disbelief. "But why?"

 Paul was puzzled. I gave him the look that says, Just go with it if I were you. and he seemed to understand what I meant, so he went and gave my grumbling aunt a kiss on the cheek. "I'd really want to stay longer, Ms. Grant.", he went on. "I'll come visit you tomorrow, I promise."

 Aunt Anne smiled and bid Paul goodbye. We hurried out and I closed the door. Paul asked, "What was that for?"

 "I don't want her to hear it.", I pulled him away, watching closely so no one could hear us.

 Paul gave me a funny stare, his eyes half-a twitching. "Should I hear you out now?"

 "Let's just forget about it.", I straightened the position of his hat on his head. "I am such a bummer and.."

 He looked at me like he was waiting for me to say more. I gulped and though stammering again, I said, "S-See you soon Pauly.", I pinched his bulky cheeks

 "Finally.", Paul smiled and began  to walk away. "Until tomorrow again.", he smiled and waved.

 For many days there was a sort of barrier between us, but it was just caused by me. Paul had been very kind and I felt lucky of having him around and it just became better, of us being acquainted again.

 "What were you two doin'?", I saw George standing there in the corner.

 "George!", I leaped into his arms. "Paul just paid Aunt Anne a visit.", I repeatedly surged George with kisses.

 "Really?", he sounded unsure.

 "Why of course.", I replied, slightly troubled of what he uttered.

 "Oh I'm sorry, love.", George held my face. "I didn't mean to--"

 "Hannah, what's taking you so long?", Aunt Anne was at the door, her hands on her waist. "Oh." Her sight was soon set on George. "Now why didn't you tell me you've got a visitor? You must come in, my boy. We were expecting you.", she went back inside.

 "You were?", he drew to me closer.

 "I've told her about you.", I clung to him.

'Cause I Like Him Too Muchजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें