Chapter Eight

I rose and asked, "You're going today?"

 The four boys now fixing their instruments stopped and stared, Epstein rolled his eyes, "Haven't you heard what I said, young lady?"

 "Y-Yes, I mean, no sir.", I sat down again. "I understand."

 "This is no child's play.", he continued, facing the four. "George Martin doesn't want to be kept waiting."

 "We'll bear that in mind, our dearest Brian.", John patted Epstein's back as he marched his way to Cynthia. "You coming with us, Cynth?"

 "I better stay.", Cynthia sighed. "Even if I want to, I'm sure he won't allow it.", her lips pointed at a busy Epstein who had just started talking on the telephone.

 I burst out laughing. "He seems so strict.", I whispered to Cynthia.

 "Yes, that's him.", she nodded.

 "What's funny?", George sneaked behind me.

 I stopped laughing and I responded insipidly, "Nothing."

 "Aw. You're going to miss me, aren't you?", George crawled next to me, his lips pressing slightly on my neck. "I'm going to miss you too. Badly."

 I stirred. "George, not here."

 "Brian said we should go now.", Ringo called as he and Paul walked to the door.

  John kissed Cynthia goodbye and went after the two. George insisted for a minute. "It's just a day. We'll be back as soon as we're finished.", he told me.

 "I know. I can take care of myself.", I kissed his chin and waved. He kissed me back and went out after hearing a honk made by Epstein's car.

 We watched as they drove away until in a blink the car disappeared out of sight. Cynthia sipped on her glass. "Looks like we're the only ones left."

 "I thought they're just doing gigs here. I didn't know they got plans beyond the city."

 "You should get used to it, honey. They're taking over, and all the ladies just love them."

 "I think you're right.", I remembered when I first went to Cavern and all the girls went mad when the boys started to perform.

 "They'll be back, the next day maybe.", Cynthia handed a few silver coins to the waiter. "It's still early. We cans till walk around, what do you think?"

 "That would be great though. I am just not sure if I can go.", I tried to tell her in a nice, sincere way.

 "Well I insist.", she got out of the chair and clutched my arm. "You really need to be out of your room more often."

 "Just like my aunt told me.", I sighed and decided to agree with her. All I knew for weeks I had been staying here were the four lads and with them gone, well, I did need  new friend- especially a woman who shares my interests.

 We both giggled as we went out. While walking we managed to see our reflection on the clear glass window. Cynthia paused. "So? Off to the hair parlor first? I was wondr'ing to have my have my hair trimmed. My fringe is getting longer too."

 "Sure. I can come with you.", I pulled her hand and kept on walking.

 "What about you?", I heard Cynthia asked as she held my braided hair. "This must be long now."

 "Yes.", I smiled. "And I intended to make it stay that way."

******

 "Good afternoon, Mrs. Rudolph.", Cynthia opened the door, causing the small bell above to ring.

 "Hello children.", a plump woman who was sweeping the floor from various lengths of hair came smiling at us. "Need a haircut?"

  "Just the same one please.", Cynthia sat down, facing the big mirror on the wall as the hairdresser tied a wide, black sheet of cloth around Cynthia's neck. I went to the waiting chairs in the corner and had a sit. "By the way Mrs. Rudolph.", Cynthia said. "I brought a friend."

 Mrs. Rudolph put away her pair of shears. With the thick and heavy-rimmed glasses of hers, she peered at my hair resting on my shoulder. "A haircut for you too?", she asked.

 "Thank you, madame, but no.", I replied.

  "Darling, would you let me see your hair?", she sat next to me. I removed the braid, revealing my long, black and wavy locks.

  "Beautiful isn't it?", Cynthia glanced at us.

  "Yes.", Mrs. Rudolph held my hair. "Good quality. A perfect one for a wig."

 I took my hair away from her grip, bringing it back to its rightful and typical fashion. "I'm sorry, but it is not for sale."

 "Well of course.", she smiled. "Having a hair like yours is a gift. How long you've been letting it grow?"

 "Two years, I think.", I snatched a magazine nearby and read it. "I have always kept it in this condition."

 "That's good to hear. I hardly see ebony-coloured hair nowadays.",Mrs. Rudokph went to Cynthia and started trimming her soft, blonde strands.

  "She's right, you know.", Cynthia was able to speak considering a pair of shears and a small comb were busy working on the tip of her forehead. "These days, women prefer shorter and fringed hairstyles. I mean it is becoming a vogue to all of us.That one looks good on you though. Really. You look like one of the Orients."

  I found what Cynthia said a little witty. She got a point. I could see girls with neat and stylish hairstyles. And as farmer's daughter I wasn't really fond of doing my hair since I would just spend all day milking the cow and feeding the swines. My loving farm animals would keep me company, so why bother fixing yourself. Well now, things are different once you go to the city.