Chapter Nine

Just as  Cynthia said they would be gone just for a day, in fact, they didn't. It was the opposite of what we thought. Two nights we waited in Cavern, but there was no band at all and the whole club could be such a bore without them. Cynthia didn't get a call from John and neither did I. George had asked for our telephone number but I don't think he remembered to call these  following days.

  Now Cynthia and I would stay in her house to keep ourselves from waiting much. There, we would talk and  laugh for a time at least. She gave me hint on how to deal with wardrobe issues. I don't know. Ever since I have lived here in Liverpool, I felt a sudden urge to look posh like all the girls here. And I needed help with that.

  "I just took two inches of it.", Cynthia zipped the back of my skirt after giving it a cut. "We just have to stitch the edge to make sure the loose linings will stay in place. That way, you can do the same to all of your dresses."

 I looked at myself in Cynthia's large mirror. My skirt indeed became shorter, my  knees could almost be seen. "Don't I look ridiculous?", I tried pulling it down. "Or maybe I should wear stockings."

  Cynthia sat on her bed, looking at me from head to toe. "You look better with a shorter skirt. Trust me." She went to join me, standing in the mirror, we were like two little girls holding our dresses, trying to pose like barbie dolls. 

  "I used to do this with my girl friends when I was young.", Cynthia recalled with a smile. "We would put bows on our hair and wear lipstick, and pretend that we were that Shirley Temple."

 "I would have done a thing like that too.", I smiled after hearing it from her.

  "You would?", she asked curiously. She opened her drawer, trying to get her hands to something. "I suggest we make ourselves ready in case they arrive."

 "I hope they nailed it this time, so they could come back now.", it would seem that I wanted George back.

 "Don't you worry, they're going to make it. Just let them do their business and we'll do ours.", Cynthia got a pallet of make up from her drawer. "Let us try something new, I'm sure you'll love this."

 "Er..", The matte eye cream Cynthia dabbed on my eyelids gave me stung. 

 "Relax.", I could hear Cynthia giggling as she stroked a tiny brush on the side of my eyes. "This will make your eyes pop and look sprightly."

*****

  Later that evening, after having an early supper with my aunt, I went to the bathroom and washed my face, the stuff Cynthia put kept stinging.

 I was still drenching my face in water when I heard the telephone rang. I ran to the living room holding a towel. But it was Aunt Anne who picked it up instead.

 "Good evening.", she answered it. "May I help you?"

 I thought it was for her, I was about to go upstairs when she beckoned me. "It's for you."

 "I held the telephone and placed it near my ear. "H-Hello?"

 "Something troubles my angel?", hearing George's voice lifted my spirits up.

 "No, I'm fine.", I cleared my throat. "I thought you forgot."

 "Love, I'm sorry if I haven't called. We just got home from London.", he explained.

 I played with the phone's chord, "I understand. How did it go anyway?"

 "I think it's better if I'll go there. Far better.", he seemed to have some good news with him.

 "But, aren't you tired.", I asked.

 "Not a bit. Wit there for me, darlin'.", The line was cut afterwards

 I didn't waste no time. I hurried to my room. picked out a new set of clothes and began fixing myself.

 "I thought you're not going to Cavern tonight.", Aunt Anne inside the room.

 "I am not, Aunt Anne.", I put on a sweatshirt.

 She asked me then, "Who was the one you were talking to?"

  My muscles felt strained. "He is George.", I tried not to show the uneasiness I was having with her question. "I would like you to meet him, Aunt Anne, he is a good fellow."

 "Very well.", I didn't expect that Aunt Anne would brush my hair, redoing the braid. "I'm glad you told me."

 I went down and Aunt Anne followed. There was a knock on the door. I was eagerly anticipating since I knew my aunt would finally get the chance to know the man I fancy. The man I was being with too. I opened the door but to my surprise, it wasn't George.

 A Paul in a hat and thick coat was standing at the doorstep. "Good evening, Hannah."