Chapter Twenty-Five

"Papa, this is George..", a deep smile appeared on my face, the two of us sit down facing him.

  George looks at me, nervously, but then he smiles at my father, nodding a little, he says, "How are you, Mr. Gordon?"

  "Feeling better now, lad!!", Papa chuckles, shaking George's hand at the same time ruffling poor George's head. "It's nice to see the 'George ' my daughter has been tellin' me about!"

  Seeing the most two important men of my life, getting along with each other for the first time, I will never forget this. I breathe out a giggle, "Don't be afraid Georgie.", I spoke to my mind, hoping his awkward feeling would soon be gone. "Papa may look mean and strong but once you get to know him, I'm sure you'll be good friends in no time." And I think they already are. Talking about lot's of things, almost making me feel left out but it's alright. I'm very, very happy to see them like that. I'm happy Papa seems fine with George, I'm happy and thankful he understands. What more can I ask for?

  "Hey Hannah! Lunch is ready!"

  I quickly got off the couch, with my hand on my aching head. Mrs, Brown was there behind, with her tiny gleaming teeth. I felt a little dizzy, as I realized my siesta had gone far. I looked around, and noticed the pair of knitting needles and thread were beside the spot where I was resting, "I'll just fix these, Mrs. Brown.", I excused.

  Boy, why am I trying so hard for this?, I sighed, putting away the needles and thread, and the unfinished thing I just started. Yes, I find knitting very hard though Aunt Anne used to teach me how, I just need to be more attentive and dedicated in order to finish it. But what it will be? I don't know, I'll see whatever comes out of it.

  They were eating in silence when I joined them. Carmen, Mrs. Brown's daughter, was very still and quiet at her age, where children like her tend to be hyper, playful  and unstoppable. I wonder if she got any friends here. 

  I got a chair, Mrs. Brown already prepared a plate for me and passed me a bowl of mixed vegetables which is my favorite, since I smelled it was mixed with butter. I filled half of my plate with eat, and started to eat, occasionally looking at the two faces I was dining with.

  I heard Mrs.Brown said to her child, "Look at her Carmen, she eats lot of vegetables.What about you?"

  The thin pair of lips of her kid became even thinner, as her round brown eyes, which were covered by the several strands of her blonde hair looked at me. She stopped eating, turned to me and asked, "Doesn't broccoli taste awful?"

  "Well..", I smiled, thinking of an appropriate answer. "I used to say broccoli tastes awful too, when I was young like you. I hated greens, but I remember Papa always says 'Eating greens is a special treat. It makes you more beautiful every time you eat more.", I could remember it exactly. I wanted to be beautiful like my old classmate in kindergarten, so I took my chances. I ate what I used to dislike. Did it made me beautiful? I don't know. What matters, I started eating greens 'cause it's nutritious, I loved it ever since I tasted it for the first time. Well, if I'm not in the mood to eat, of course I make an exception.

  "So it's true.", a sweet little Carmen let out a wide smile. "Will it make me beautiful too?"

  "Only one way to find out, sweetie.", Mrs. Brown was delighted to see her Carmen attempting to eat a spoonful of buttered vegetables. She turned to me with a grateful gleam.

  "Carmen used to eat timidly, quite being picky on foods, now it gives me great joy to see her change.", Mrs. Brown reckoned after we finished fixing the table and washed the dishes. "I am glad you helped her, Hannah."

  "Oh, it is nothing, Mrs. Brown.", I gave a jaunty look as I wiped my hands with the kitchen towel. "I think it's normal for the kids to be picky."

  "She wasn't like that, she was a jolly lil' lass, until one day, I became I widow, and she lost a father.", a shadow of sadness reflected on Mrs. Brown's chocolate eyes. "I thought the move would make things easier for both of us, especially for her."

  To lose someone you love, to lose a parent, I know how it feels like. I came closer to Mrs. Brown, and patted her skinny shoulder. "I'm sorry to hear that, Mrs. Brown."

  "You know, you can call me Edith.", Mrs. Brown tried to wear a smile. "You're very kindly and nice, Hannah. Very easy to talk to.", she gave me a quick hug before she went upstairs, to their room, where little Carmen was already there, playing by herself. "Just call me Edith."

  I was left alone with one thing to do before this day ends: To see George and tell him personally the good news. Everything seemed fine now. Aunt Anne approves, and thank the stars, Papa is going with her she comes back after a week, for a moment, he will get to know George, and Papa will know how George makes me happy in my stay here. I knew that dream I just encountered was a good sign! For a fact, I know I couldn't stop George from going, I wish I could, but at least, things will be alright while he's away, and I'll be waiting for his return. Isn't that swell?

  I hurried to my room, rummaging through my things there, I must look fine! While I was fixing myself, I had a feeling I had forgotten something. Oh dear! I forgot to ask permission from, Mrs. Brown! Even if she's not my aunt, she has to know where I'm going, especially she has to know I'm not just coming back after an few hours!

  While doing my hair on it's typical fashion, I ran up to the stairs and knocked on Mrs. Brown's door.

  "Hannah, I see you're well-dressed.", Mrs. Brown said after opening the door.

  I caught my breath. "Y-Yes, Mrs.Brow-- I mean, Edith. Yes uhm, I'm going to see a friend and I'll be coming home a little late."

  "Oh.", she paused for a moment. "I'll be cooking a good stew for dinner."

  "Uhm. You can have dinner without me."

 "Are you sure?"

  I nodded. "I've keys here, and don't worry Edith. I'll just be in Arnold Grove."

  As fast as I could I ran outside, headed to George's place. "Bless Mrs. Brown she allowed me to go.", I said to myself. It was sure exhausting to run, fortunately a kind old man offered to give me  a free lift. He just dropped me to the street where the Harrison's residence is, and as I got nearer to the door, my excitement grew. 

  Nobody answered my first knock. What's happening here? I knocked for another time but I guess no one heard it again. I opened the door, and coughed, after smelling the strong odor of burning cigarettes.

 "George?", I covered my nose and squinted, the room was a little misty, but there was George, strumming a few chords on his guitar with Paul, both of them having a smoke.

  Paul looked at me and smiled, I waved my hand to say hello. It was nice to see him too.

 "Hello, darling.",George rose, and held my hand. "I thought you'd never come."

 I guess I was far too excited, I grabbed him by his shirt's collar and surged him with kisses. "I've something to tell you!!", I exclaimed. "Something great!"

  George's eyes were glistening with excitement, he didn't need listen to what I was about to say, he knew exactly what it was, he pulled me to him, held my waist with his both hands, and gave me a long and deeper kiss, deeper that what I just gave him. 

  Then we heard applause. Which wasn't good, 'cause it was three of them, other than George and I. An as usual, John never forgot to screw our fine moment. He got up from the floor, still holding the cards he'd been playing with Ringo, he stood between George and I, and mimicking a mother's voice and said, "Why Hannah, you've been a naughty lassie! Go to your bed!"

  George chuckled. "Don't listen to him, Hannah.", his hands made their way to my waist, decide John's attempt to separate us.

  I decided to go with John's folly game, "No you can't make me, Mama John!!"