A Late Journey

Ranjan boarded the train which was crowded more than usual and there was hardly any space for people to even balance themselves.

He heard a hiss and turned over to check on the person. He got lost in the beautiful eyes of the lady who hissed again. Ranjan saw the lady with two little boys dressed up in school uniform were struggling to stand. He saw a man trying to lean over the lady and Ranjan glared at the man and moved to stand between him and the lady with the children. A smile appeared on his lips looking at them.

Next train la poi irukalam he spoke in a calm voice and the lady smiled at him.

Already late ayiduchu. Seekiram ready aana ippadi aguma. Ivanunga Kaalaila endhirikkave matranga. Naa enna pannatum. the lady pouted looking at the boys.

Sorry maa, inime ippadi panna mattom. Appa neenga sollunga amma kitta the two little boys pulled Ranjan's shirt to support them.

Ranjan ruffled their hair and turned his attention to her who was moving her fringe hairs back of her ear. 

Pesama namma car vaangidalama ? Ranjan asked her with a smile waiting for her reply.

Nanum office la loan kettu pakkuren kedachan sendhu car vaangidalam. Ungalukku romba aasa la car vaanganum nu ? she asked him but he shook his head.

Enakkaga illa unakkagavum pasangalukkum dhan ellame plan panren. he spoke with utmost love and care for them.

Eppavum engala pathiye yosikama ungalukkagavum yosinga eppavachum she fake angered towards him.

He smiled and his trance was broken when the station arrive and he heard people pushing him to get down. The lady passed a smiled at him.

Thanks sir, help pannadhukku. Ungala madhiri nallavanga irukka dhan seiranga, With that she deboarded the train. The two boys looked at him again munching on a chocolate.

Uncle neenga endha station yeranganum ? one of the boy asked him.

He didn't reply them but ruffled their hair and deboarded in next station. 

Standing in the platform he watched the train leaving the station. The train which gave him a imaginary family for few minutes.

Reaching his office he entered the washroom and looked at his figure in the mirror. He touched the grey hairs on his moustache that had started dominating the black ones.

Enakku oru wife, pasanga irundha naanga ippadi dhan irupoma ? En wife enakkaga ippadi pesuvala ? Eppadiyo ennoda aasa nejam agadhu nu dhan kadavul apappo oru kudumbam thararu pola. Indha sila nimisham sandhosham kooda nalla irukku aana nejathula nadakkanum nu perasaiya irukku. Ranjan sighed and moved his hair to front to hide the scalp that was visible now with more hair fall.

He returned to the seat and his mobile rang with a call from his sister. With a smile he answered it.

"Anna, andha ponnu veetla vendam sollitanga. Vayasu adhigam solranga. Namma vera ponnu pakkalam. Neenga veetukku pogum podhu amma ku volini spray vaangitu ponga. Mutti valikudhu sonnanga. Nerathukku sapdunga anna" she spoke and cut the call when he hummed in reply.

He didn't realize he was aging with time he worked on his responsibilities and now he was 45 and ready for his own family but everyone felt it was too late but for him he did complete his responsibilities the sooner yet he was late.

Is this how the life of a middle class man goes on when he had to shoulder the responsibility of his family especially when he is the first born of the family ?

He made a reminder to buy the volini spray for his mother and focused on his work with a hope to meet his next family of few minutes some day.

3 years later:

Ranjan was reading newspaper when he heard his mother curse someone. Dropping the newspaper he sauntered to the kitchen and cleared his throat.

Andha ponnu widow nu sollave illa Raji. Oru kozhandha vera irukkam. Avangalukku ok vam aana naa vendam solliten. Naalaikku vera ponnu photo kondu varen sonnaru broker. his mother continued her cooking as if it was nothing important what she shared with him.

Amma, andha ponna na kalyanam pannikuren. Seri nu sollunga. Simple ah kovil la kalyanam pannalam. Ungalukku kashtama irudha nane pesuren maa. Ranjan smiled and was about to leave but his mother stopped him.

Yen Raji, oru kozhandha irukku andha ponnukku she spoke with a pain in her voice.

Amma, ippo enakkum andha ponnukkum life partner mattun theva illa aana oru companion, nalla friend venum life la thaniya illama oru paadhukappu avlodhan. Pesi date fix pannunga. Ennoda whatsapp ku avanga photo kozhandhaiyoda send pannunga.

Ranjan left the place leaving no room for discussion.

A week later he got married to Thamarai and he couldn't help but fall in love with the little boy who had the same yearning as he held for love. Ranjan hugged the little boy and kissed his forehead but the little hands were yet to hug him back. 

Appava hug panna matiya ? Ranjan questioned the little boy passing a cricket bat to him which he bought the previous day. The little boy hugged Ranjan and smiled at his mother who sighed in relief.

Ranjan didn't knew why but he teared up a little but with content. Raising to his feet he showed his palm to Thamarai with a little smile that spoke to thousand promises and Thamarai placed her palm in his. 

The couple walked out of the temple holding their son's hand on either side and Ranjan opened the door to the car which he got delivered as soon as the date was fixed. Thamarai sat in the passenger seat with their son on her lap and he started driving but couple of college students stopped his car and passed a heart balloon to both Ranjan and Thamarai wishing them a happy Valentine's day.

They both chuckled at the mere co incidence that they got married on a valentine's day. 

A late yet beautiful beginning to them.

**************

A/N:

A very short  shot and I m not sure if I conveyed what I actually wanted to do. Please comment your views on this and don't forget to vote.

Take care and Thank You