「 sympathetic character 」

[ VOLUME FIVE ]

CHAPTER 123;
sympathetic character

[ OCTOBER TWENTY-SEVENTH, 97' ]

Harry James Potter,

♱

'I have as much rage as you have
I have as much pain as you do
I've lived as much hell as you have
And I've kept mine bubbling under for you

You were my best friend, you were my lover
You were my mentor, you were my brother
You were my partner, you were my teacher
You were my very own sympathetic character

I was afraid you'd hit below the belt, reducing me
I was afraid of your sucker punch, verbal daggers
I was afraid of the calm before the storm.
I was afraid of your icy silences, your explosions

You were my keeper, you were my anchor
You were my family, you were my saviour
And therein lay the issue
And therein lay the problem'

          Even without any new ideas, they continued to move through the countryside, travelling by Apparition to more woods, to the shadowy crevices of cliffs, to purple moors, gorse-covered mountainsides, and once a sheltered and pebbly cove.

Every twelve hours or so they passed the Horcrux between them as though they were playing some perverse, slow-motion game of pass-the-parcel, where they dreaded the music stopping because the reward was twelve hours of increased fear and anxiety...

Harry's scar kept prickling.
It happened most often, he noticed when he was wearing the Horcrux. Sometimes he could not stop himself from reacting to the pain.

As the days stretched into weeks, Harry began to suspect that Ron and Hermione were having conversations without, and about, him.

Several times they stopped talking abruptly when Harry entered the tent, and twice he came accidentally upon them, huddled a little distance away, heads together and talking fast; both times they fell silent when they realised he was approaching them and hastened to appear busy collecting wood or water.

Harry could not help wondering whether they had only agreed to come on what now felt like a pointless and rambling journey because they thought he had some secret plan that they would learn in due course.
Ron was making no effort to hide his bad mood, and Harry was starting to fear that Hermione too was disappointed by his poor leadership.