Chapter 1

Dudley and Newton were riding on their wagon in the old west.

Newton had the reins while Dudley sat beside him. 

They were trying to head back east, but their horse was so slow, they weren't getting anywhere.

The sun was just about to set when they rode along the edge of a cliff on a mountain.

"It is lovely out here" said Dudley awkwardly.

"Which is a sad commentary on what came of our career" said Newton as he focused on the road.

"It can't be that bad" said Dudley.

"Not that bad? We nearly got arrested for not having money" said Newton.

"Which isn't exactly our fault" said Dudley. 

Just then, as the two actors were passing a thicket of thorns, they heard a high-pitched cry. 

"What's that?" said Dudley.

"Calm down, old chap. It's probably just an animal" said Newton.

"But even so, whatever it is needs help. Please let me save it" said Dudley. 

Newton listened to the cry, then softened and stopped the wagon. "Very well."

Dudley moved towards the source of the cry and found a scared little girl trapped in the thorns.

"What is it?" said Newton.

"It's a child. We need to save her" said Dudley. 

Newton jumped off the wagon and approached the girl. 

"Heaven's sake" he whispered. 

"Cut her free, old boy" said Dudley.

Without hesitation, Newton lunged forward and started to free the girl. 

"Take it easy, little one; we're here to help" he said. 

As soon as the girl was free, Dudley wrapped his jacket around her and comforted her with a gentle hug. 

"There now..." he muttered.

Newton examined the girl's body. "She's got a fair few cuts. We need to get her medical attention."

But before they could do anything else, it started to thunder. 

The little girl was now terrified and she cried more.

"Oh dear. This storm won't do her any good" said Dudley.

"We need to find shelter for her as quick as possible" said Newton. 

And no sooner did it start to rain when the men found a huge cave in the mountain. 

"In there, dear" said Newton leading the girl inside.