Chapter 28

"Now Dudley... until the ladies come back, why not just dream of us finding our way again" said Newton kindly.

"I haven't any dreams left to dream" Dudley cried. "We've lost our company, our money... and now I've lost my love and my health."

Amy wrapped her arms around Dudley's neck and hid her face on his shoulder. 

"Newton, if I could at least see my Angelique one last time..." Dudley whispered.

"And if only I could help Camille further. She must have a splitting migraine right now" said Newton. 

"We also promised Mr Penmbroke that we'd help him feel welcome without marriage" said Dudley.

"And what a fine job we've done" said Newton sarcastically. 

Then he told the truth. "And to think. We know exactly how he feels."

"If we know how he feels, why haven't we shown him that?" said Dudley. 

"Yes... I s'pose we could prove that to Atticus. The best way I can think of is to... allow him into our acting troupe" said Newton. 

"Take him along? But if he goes along with two broke actors, he may not get used to it as easily. He might wind up resenting us" said Dudley.

"Oh don't be silly; he was willing to marry a woman he barely knew just to be recognized" said Newton. 

Then he got up and started to leave. 

"Where are you going, Newton?" said Amy.

"I'm going to inform Mr Penmbroke that we're willing to help him out" said Newton.

"But while you do that... you have to get Angelique to see me again" said Dudley.

"I'll do what I can" said Newton sincerely. 

Then he left the compartment. 

"Dudley?" said Amy quietly. "Please don't cry."

Dudley stroked the girl's hair. "I'm so glad you're here."

"I'm sorry Angelique isn't here" said Amy.

"I know. But... if I truly love her, I s'pose I should let her go if it's the best thing for her" said Dudley.

"But she'll trapped with her mother" said Amy.

"I know. But maybe if I hadn't gotten in her mother's way, she wouldn't be in so much trouble. I so wanted to be with her... I only thought of me" said Dudley. 

"So real love is thinking of someone else?" said Amy.

"Yes. So by letting Angelique calm her feuding mother with a marriage... I believe I'm showing her true love" said Dudley. 

"But what if they stay fighting?" said Amy.

Dudley smiled. "Angelique will still know that I love her enough to let her go."

He cuddled Amy closer. "Now it's getting late. Let's get some sleep."

"But I'm not sleepy. I'm too worried about you" said Amy. 

Dudley wiped away her tears. "I'll be alright tonight."

Then he laid Amy down in his arms and sang to her.

Baby mine, don't you cry

Baby mine, dry your eyes

Rest your head close to my heart

Never to part, baby of mine

Little one, when you play

Don't you mind what they say

Let those eyes sparkle and shine

Never a tear, baby of mine

From your head to your toes

You're so sweet, goodness knows

You are so precious to me

Cute as can be, baby of mine

Baby mine, baby mine