Chapter 21

The next morning, Dudley and Newton took Amy back to the tea area on the train.

"What are we doing here?" Amy asked.

"We shall introduce you to the Rodriguez sisters" said Dudley.

"But Newton doesn't like me talking to strangers" said Amy.

"You have my permission to speak to these ones, dear. You must get to know the outside world if you're to survive in it" said Newton.

"But I thought you two were taking me home" said Amy.

"You were never able to tell us where your home is. Would you like to tell us why?" said Newton.

"Because I don't know where home is" said Amy.

"There you are. So we've taken you along so you can live" said Newton. 

"And the first step to giving you a happy life is to have you make friends" said Dudley.

Just then, Angelique and Camille came over and saw them.

"Monsieur Leicester" said Angelique.

"Monsieur Weekes" said Camille.

Dudley stood up and kissed Angelique's hand. 

"Angelique Rodriguez, my partner Newton Weekes" he said.

"A genuine pleasure, madam" said Newton politely.

"You are charming, Monsieur Weekes" said Angelique. 

"And who is this young lady?" said Camille.

"This is Amy, mademoiselles. She is very lost and needs friends" said Newton.

"Indeed? No one needs friends as much as I do" said Camille.

"Than can I be your friend, Miss Camille?" said Amy. 

"Of course, mon enfant! I shall show you a life worthy of a fine lady" said Camille with pep. 

"But first, I expect you'll need to explain what I've told you to Mr Penmbroke?" said Newton. 

"That our love is not love?" said Camille.

"No indeed it isn't" said Newton.

As they were talking, Atticus came by to get a cup of tea.

"Monsieur Atticus. Bonjour" said Camille.

"Camille. How are you, m'love?" said Atticus.

"I am... afraid I have something to say to you" said Camille.

"Yes?"

"I do not believe we should get married."

"Pardon?"

"After I spoke with Monsieur Weekes here, I realize that love does not appear when you say it has" Camille explained.

"Yes, I believe that too. But why did you say yes to my proposal?" said Atticus. 

"Because I want what Angelique has. Someone to love" said Camille.

Atticus softened. "I understand. I just needed someone to understand me. When I met you, I just didn't want to wait."

"But I suppose there are other ways to find someone to understand you" said Camille.

She turned to Newton. "Monsieur Weekes. Is there any way you could possibly help Atticus be understood without marriage?"

Newton looked at Dudley. "What do you think?"

"Certainly. If we're going to help these two sisters, we'll have to help those they care for" said Dudley.

Newton turned back to Camille. "Certainly, mademoiselle. But for now, help our child smile. We shall think on this."

"Merci, Monsieur Weekes! And you, Monsieur Leicester. God bless the two of you" said Camille.