Chapter 17

Newton returned with Camille as Dudley gave Amy a hug.

"Camille. What are you doing outside your compartment?" said Lady Beatrice.

"Getting over the headache Mamon's screaming gave me" said Camille.

"Is this Angelique's sister?" said Dudley. 

"Yes it is" said Lady Henrietta with a smile. 

"Camille Rodriguez, Dudley Leicester. My partner" said Newton.

Camille shook hands with Dudley. "Why... bonjour."

"Bonjour. She's rather polite" said Dudley with a smile.

"But very insecure. Because of her mother, she thinks love is gained when you say it is" said Newton.

"The madame wants her daughters to think that so Angelique will marry Henri when she tells her to" said Lady Henrietta.

"But Monsieur Weekes here said it is not" said Camille.

"No, it isn't. It comes when you feel it" said Dudley.

"Indeed. So I would like you, mademoiselle, to spend more time out of that compartment. Rest your head, make friends... even get to know Dudley and I" said Newton.

"You mean you would become my friends?" said Camille.

"If you wouldn't mind. I want you to decide what you're to do. Do you decide to be friends with Dudley and I?" said Newton bluntly.

"But of course! I would be delighted to know someone other than Mamon and the Babineaux family" said Camille. 

"Mr Weekes. Just exactly what do you think you are doing?" said Lady Ginevra.

"Broadening this girl's horizons" said Newton.

"It is against her mother's will" said Lady Beatrice.

"Her mother's will leads to misery and insecurity" said Dudley.

"And very possibly danger" finished Newton.

Lady Henrietta looked at her sisters. "Come come now, dears. The child has autism. She must have experiences. Why don't you let these sterling gentlemen have their say?" 

"Hmm... they were very courteous to invite me for tea. I suppose two wouldn't hurt" said Lady Ginevra.

The two looked at Lady Beatrice with hopeful expressions. 

"Oh, very well then. But Agathe must never know" said Lady Beatrice.

"She won't. We're also protecting Angelique and Dudley from her" said Newton. 

"Yes. So won't you three allow me to see her tonight?" said Dudley.

"Absolutely not. She cannot desert her fiancee" said Lady Beatrice.

"Beatrice. They are merely childhood friends. And I'm afraid it may stay that way" said Lady Henrietta.

"How do you know?" said Amy.

"This betrothal goes way back and they never fell for each other" said Lady Henrietta.

"Oh, very well. But make the interaction plain" said Lady Beatrice.

"Oh, god bless you, my ladies" said Dudley gratefully.