Chapter 36: Redefining Motherhood

Essence's POV: As everyone comes back

"Okay, things have been sorted out, onto the next problem." Abby grinned as she entered with Mom and Dayveonne.

"Ah, yes. Essence and her 'mommy issues'." Dr. Simmons smirked.

I gave him a look as the boys stifled their laughter.

"I don't have 'mommy issues'. I just call both of them 'Mom'. Marrissah is biologically my mother, but as Abby and I have grown closer, she's become more of a mother to me, and one day, I just ended up calling her 'Mom'. I-I-I don't call her that all the time, though." I explained.

"Marrissah, how does that make you feel?" Dr. Simmons queried.

"I'll admit, at first I really didn't like it. I-I-I felt like she was only doing it to spite me. Now I see that she really sees Abby as a second mother figure, a-a-and I guess I can tolerate it." She admitted.

"So, you still don't like it." He questioned.

"I-I-I guess not." She muttered.

"You only started treating me like your daughter once you realized I was getting closer to Abby. You make me question whether or not you actually care about me, or if you just act like you do because you know Abby's a better mother than you." I snapped.

Oh. Was that too harsh?

"So, just to confirm you do have mommy issues. But elaborate on why you think Abby is a better mother." Dr. Simmons suggested.

I rolled my eyes before answering.

"Marrissah blamed me for the divorce. I was struggling with my eating habits and she enabled me instead of supporting me and trying to help me. Abby helped me through it. She's gone through something similar, and she didn't enable me at all. Marrissah always shows how much she loves Elijah, but rarely shows any love to me. Abby shows an equal amount of love to both of us, which really means a lot, since she spends more time with Elijah than with me. It's always back and forth with me and Marrissah, but with Abby, once I realized she wasn't the monster I painted her to be, it was linear progress." I explained.

"If you were to stop painting me as a monster, we could have linear progress, too." Marrissah hissed.

"If you were to fucking grow up and treat me like I'm your daughter instead of being so immature and treating me like I'm a burden, we could have linear progress." I snapped.

"You two were just fine on the jet," Eli groaned.

"Yeah, until she started going back to her old ways. Oh, 'I'm surprised to see you wearing something like that, but it's not like people will pay attention to you anyway', or when we were eating she was like, oh, 'I'm surprised to see you actually eating something'. What if that set me off?! She's so fucking insensitive." I barked.

"Marrissah, you really said all of that?!" Dad gasped.

"Maybe." She muttered.

"Fucking immature piece of shit." I snarled.

"Oh.. kay... T-T-This seems like it's going to take longer than expected. Let's continue this tomorrow, but only the three of you need to come." Dr. Simmons suggested.

I scoffed as I got up.

"This wouldn't be happening if you had listened to me," Dayveonne smirked.

"Shut the fuck up." I hissed before shoving him aside and storming off.

"Essence, get back here and apologize!" Dad demanded.

I ignored him and went back to the suite and into my room. I called Myles, begging for him to pick up.