Epilogue 1 - Chapter 4: In The Shadow Of Time

Essence's POV: The date

Daniel was picking me up at my house to go to the movies, then get dinner. We were going to get a light dinner, or possibly just a snack, because of the group sleepover. I had already got my pajamas and necessities in Daniel's car, so we wouldn't have to come back.

"Can I know what movie we're watching now?" I begged.

"No, you will find out when we get to the theater." He chuckled.

I was eagerly fidgeting around the entire way to the theater. Once we got there, I snatched the tickets from his hand.

"Ooh!" I squealed.

"You need to learn what patience is." He chuckled as he put his arm around me.

I rolled my eyes playfully as we went to our seats. We were sitting in the back, which was perfect. The best seats were here because you weren't too close to the screen, and you could see everything.

"I'll go get us some popcorn. Do you want an icee?" He queried.

"Cherry and blue-raspberry swirl, please." I giggled lightly.

He went to get the snacks as the previews played. Daniel made it back just as the movie was going to start. As the movie played, we ate our popcorn and drank our icees, then I noticed Daniel staring at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Do you not realize what you've been doing with your icee for the past few minutes?" He queried.

"I'm just trying to get the ice parts at the bottom and scoop them into my straw-- oh, you're dirty minded." I gasped.

The motions I was making to get the last bits of my icee were the same motions someone would make when sucking dick.

"It's also noisy. The straw squeaks." He chuckled.

I rolled my eyes lightly. By the end of the movie, Daniel and I were holding hands and were more comfortable around each other.

"Did you like the movie?" He asked.

"I loved it. It was great!" I giggled.

I looked in the distance and saw a familiar face. Myles Carter... and another woman. He was laughing; he was happy. Then the woman turned around. There was a baby bump. Was Myles going to be a father? Maybe it's a relative or a friend... But the ring and bracelets. She had a ring on her finger. It looked like an engagement ring. They had matching bracelets. Half of a heart.

"Are you okay?" Daniel questioned, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. Let's go." I responded as we got in his car.

I was happy for Myles. He seemed incredibly happy. I was just shocked to see that he's probably becoming a father and getting married. That could've been us... but I've moved on.

"E, what's up?" Daniel asked as he lightly caressed my face.

"I saw Myles and another girl. She had a ring, she's pregnant, and they have matching heart bracelets. I don't feel anything for him. It just shocked me." I admitted.

He sighed as he put his hands on the steering wheel.

"Essence, you need to be one hundred percent sure you don't feel anything for him. You're confusing as fuck and take a while to get your feelings in check. I don't want to start something if you're not ready." He said.

"I'm one hundred percent sure I'm over him, and I'm ready." I answered.

Well, now everything's awkward. Once we went to the restaurant, things were better. I was really happy that Daniel and I were doing this. And Sydney was wrong. I had so much self control. Sex wasn't even on my mind. I was very giddy on the way to the house.