Epilogue 1 - Chapter 2: The Tightrope Of Romance

I was very anxious when it was time to go to the graduation ceremony.

"Essence. Breathe. Everything will be okay. Eli and I created a seating arrangement, so there's no conflict. You and Daniel won't be on opposite ends of the row. That'll make it more awkward. But you two won't be directly next to each other." Syd comforted.

"Am I at least sitting next to you?" I squeaked.

"Yes, don't worry. You're in between me and Vanessa." She giggled.

I sighed happily as we got ready to leave.

Once we got to the school, the rest of the friend group was already there. Daniel and I didn't want anyone else knowing anything, so we just acted normally.

"Mommy, I thought you said things between Auntie Essence and Uncle Daniel were awkward." Leah said.

Everyone looked at Daniel and I.

"You have a big mouth." I hissed.

"That's rude." Leah scoffed.

"What happened between you two?" Vannie whispered.

"Nothing. Syd just made a funny joke, and Leah didn't understand that." I lied.

"But--" Leah started.

Sydney gave her that look, and she quickly shut her mouth. Sydney wasn't a scary mom, but Leah knew how to listen, so Sydney never really had to say anything when Leah did something she wasn't supposed to. She just gave her the look, and boom, she behaved.

Desiree looked so beautiful! I was so excited for her. Gustavo came, and he now had a great relationship with his kids. Melany didn't come, though. She had no contact with Desi or Daniel once Daniel got custody of her.

"Hi, my favorite people." She giggled as she approached us.

"I'm so proud of you!" I squealed as I hugged her.

"You're squishing me." She whined.

"Let me be a proud sister in peace." I hissed.

"Hi everyone." Zaiden grinned as he approached us.

"Ah, I'm so proud of you too!" I beamed as I hugged him.

Zaiden gave Desi a look as he lightly patted my back.

"Alright, enough, enough. We're going to the party. Bye!" Desi giggled as she took his hand.

"I really don't get their relationship." Daniel said.

"Me neither." I replied.

They may not be together as a couple, but they sure act like one. They hold hands; they cuddle. It's cute, but confusing. I think they still love each other, but don't want to be in a relationship. Desi's had girlfriends and boyfriends throughout her high school life once she and Zaiden broke up. They even had their own dates to the prom.

"Our little girl is all grown up." Jayla pouted with a fake cry.

When Daniel adopted Desi, she wasn't just his little sister. We all cared for her and loved her like a sister. The boys always defended her if a guy treated her badly, and I could tell they had fun being protective older brothers.

Soon, Daniel and I headed to his house. I was terrified. This could either go well or go terribly.

"This is so awkward." I squeaked as we sat down on the couch.

"It is, but we've gotten through awkward moments before. We're going to explain how we're feeling about all of this, then figure out what the next step is," He replied.