The Only Reason // prologue

'One of the risks of being quiet is that other people can fill your silence with their own interpretations: You're depressed, you're bored, you're shy, you're stuck up, you're judgemental. When others can't read us, they write their own story - not one we choose, or that is true to who we are.'

Michael was only too familiar to the names that were stuck upon him on a daily basis: mute, freak, depressed, pathetic. Although there one was that stood out; Kitten.

Ever since Michael was born on 20th November 1995 he had been mute. Although he was selectively mute, only speaking to his older brother Will. Him and Will were inseparable. Michael would whisper to Will and he'd say what Michael wanted. That's how it'd always been.

Until in 2005 his family were in a car crash. Him and Will had been arguing in the back of the car and Will unexpectedly shouted, causing Michael's Dad to swerve off the road. Everyone was lucky and got out with only a few scratches, apart from Will. Will didn't make it, the impact was too much.

Michael hasn't spoken a word since.

*Trigger Warning: It does contain abuse and bullying

This is a Malum book so if you aren't comfortable reading this then I do not suggest you do... However this book is purely fiction and I know Michael isn't actually selectively mute, it's just for the story's sake.

I will start updating in September time, and I will update once a week.

I hope you enjoy :)