𝕍

5 | the betrayal of one

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN SAT ON THE SILK BEDSHEETS OF THE HOTEL ROOM SHE HAD BEEN OCCUPYING for the better part of the last three days. Her belongings lay around her, nearly every item that had been on the list she had given Elijah to grab from her manor. It wasn't much, namely just her clothes and shoes. A few of her books lay in a stack on the desk across the room next to the TV.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The Palace Royale, this hotel was called. It was very ornate. The owners had spared no expense when it came to its rooms, though Wren didn't know whether her room had been an exception. Silk bedsheets were, after all, not typical for hotels.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Perhaps it was the perks of being a vampire. She briefly wondered if Elijah had compelled the owner of this hotel to upgrade her room to give her a false sense of comfort.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀There was no real comfort for her, not in knowing that her family had betrayed her so easily. But the silks and fineries weren't a bad thing, necessarily.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She stood quickly as the doorknob began to twist, her hand reaching instinctively for her collarbone where her pendant usually sat.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Gone.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Elijah said that it was unable to be found. Or at least the men he compelled to grab her things couldn't find it. She didn't put much weight into the minds of compelled humans.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The heavy door silently slid open, revealing the vampire in question. He greeted her with a closed-lip smile, which was short-lived as he began to speak. "There's someone here who wishes to speak with you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren tensed. The only people who would come asking after her here were her family. The witches had people watching her ever since she left the cemetery. "Tell whoever it is that I don't wish to speak to anyone." She turned away from him, padding toward the stack of books on the desk.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"She is rather insistent."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A frustrated grunt sounded from behind the tall vampire. "Let me see my sister!" a familiar feminine voice spat. A rustle of fabric sounded, as if she was trying to shove past Elijah, but he did not so much as budge.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren scowled, covering up the tiny amount of mirth that bubbled in her throat at the idea of her tiny sister trying to manhandle a thousand-year-old vampire. She listened to the threats being thrown at his back for a few seconds longer before sighing. "It's fine, Elijah, I'm sure Haven had nothing to do with my mother's schemes. Let her in."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Haven rushed into the room as soon as Elijah stopped blocking her path, slowing at the sight of her sister's things scattered around the penthouse. "So it's true." Her voice was soft. "You're really leaving?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren crossed her arms. "Mother didn't leave me much choice."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"No one knew what she was going to do, Wren, you have to believe me-"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I do." Wren sat in one of the armchairs, hurt blooming in her chest at the thought of her mother. She had been different since they came back to New Orleans. Since Wren's father had passed. "I believe you, but that doesn't change the fact that they all stood back and let her do it."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Haven's expression faltered. "I knew something was wrong, I could feel it in my bones, stronger than I've ever felt it. I left the school as soon as Visily texted me and told me what had happened. How could she have done this?" She walked closer to her sister, apologies written on her face. "What are you going to do now? Are you staying with them?" She aimed her venom at Elijah.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Haven had never liked vampires, and her disdain had only grew since they moved back to the Quarter. She said they gave her a feeling of dread, deep in her stomach.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I have to." Wren brought her legs up into the chair, crossing them beneath herself. "I'm now deemed important to the Original family, so I imagine I'll be kept under close watch." A sarcastic smile bloomed across her face. "Though the one I thought who would be watching me closest is nowhere to be found."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Haven's face fell. "So that's true, too? You really are his soulmate."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The corner of Wren's lips lifted slightly. "It is. I felt it when I saw him for the first time. It felt like a rope in my chest, pulling me to him. It was strong, Haven." She touched her collarbone, remembering. "The witches took my necklace, do you know where it is?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Haven frowned, shaking her head.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Great, Wren thought, the one thing from the coven I truly needed, and it was the one thing I can't seem to get. It was fitting, though. The last thing she had that was from her father was gone. That was definitely her mother's doing.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Dread filled Wren's stomach. For what she did not know. She had always had this... emptiness inside. Ever since she discovered she couldn't do magic like the other witches, ever since she'd been labelled an abomination by her Aunt.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And now the one thing that made her feel safe was gone.