𝕏𝕍𝕀𝕀

17 | a hybrid's vulnerability

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN SAT IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT OF HER CAR, HER HANDS TAPPING AT THE LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN SAT IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT OF HER CAR, HER HANDS TAPPING AT THE LEATHER STEERING WHEEL. KLAUS WASN'T HOME YET, but they'd been back for over an hour.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She couldn't help but be worried. What if her coven had made the first move? They weren't on the best of terms with the Original Hybrid.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She finally gave up and went inside for a while, sitting by the piano with Rebekah and Nina - who were in a deep conversation.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I don't care if we have to lock you two in the basement, that was your last trip to the Bayou. It's too dangerous, what with Marcel's men roaming around." Rebekah knocked back a shot of bourbon.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I had to see if that was my coven, Rebekah. They're my family. That might not mean much to some but it means a lot to me." Wren poured herself a glass.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Rebekah snorted. "Family is a pain in the behind, if you ask me." She poured another shot. "Take it from the one who has to deal with your mate - minus the softness he shows you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren rolled her eyes. "Right," she mumbled, "softness."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Any lesser woman would've died today for what you said to him." Rebekah stared at her with a serious expression. "For a moment I feared his anger would get the better of him but he controlled it. He did that for you, Wren."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The door swung open, as if it could sense the conversation within. The hybrid came through, a small smirk on his lips.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Finally," Rebekah breathed, "what took you so bloody long-?" Her eyes widened as a second figure came through the door. "Elijah!" She rushed to hug him.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren stayed a few feet back, but moved closer when his gaze shifted to her. "Good to have you back." She gave his arm a light squeeze.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You're safe!" Rebekah breathed. "Now that you're home, is your first plan to kill Niklaus?" She smiled teasingly toward her other brother.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, certainly." Elijah gave a happy grin. "For now, I'll postpone my revenge in the name of a happy evening."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren smirked and moved her eyes to Klaus. Subtly, she nodded for him to follow her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She could feel his heated gaze on her back the entire walk to his study. Her skin prickled as his warmth neared her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The atmosphere in the room shifted as soon as the door was shut. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren turned to him, eyeing him up and down. His eyes spoke of a hidden anger that he had buried. "Are you okay?" she asked softly.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm fine, love." Klaus sat down in the armchair in the far corner of the room. The lack of light made him melt into the shadows.