𝕏𝕍𝕀

16 | live like legends

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN WAS SITTING IN ELIJAH'S STUDY WITH NINA WHEN SHE HEARD A DOOR SLAM. FURROWING HER EYEBROWS, she looked up from where she was reading a book. "Did you hear that?" she asked Nina, who nodded.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The werewolf was reading one of his journals, intrigued by the man. She had a gentle hold on her bottom lip between her teeth. Her fingers gently trailed over his elegant writing, thoughtfully tracing them.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀His scent lingered in the room, suffocating and comforting at once.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sighed and placed her book down on the desk, standing up to walk down the hallway.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Those witches tried to kill Wren. I would prefer Marcel's informant to not find anything leading them back to us or her." Klaus' voice was stern.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren pushed open the door, eyeing Sophie. The older witch was perched on a chair, an uncomfortable look on her face. "What are you guys arguing about now?" she sighed.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Dead witches in the Bayou. Sophie seems to think that she has burial rights on them, but Marcel has invited Niklaus to go out on a field trip to visit the bodies." Rebekah rolled her eyes as she sat back on the couch. "What a wonderful bonding experience. I'm sure you and Marcel will be very happy together." She cast a snide glance at her brother.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Dead witches?" Wren's stomach dropped.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They couldn't be her coven - she had watched them leave alive.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Given your experience with this lot, I had expected your reaction to be a lot less solemn." Klaus eyed her for a moment.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"In case you've forgotten, I am the Regent-in-line for my coven." Wren glared at her mate. "I would rather my people not be slaughtered." She looked to Sophie. "If they are my coven, they deserve proper burials. I'm going with you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Ever since the night they had spent together, Klaus and Wren had been distant from one another. It had only been a couple days, but things had more or less gone back to normal. Wren thought it was just his wolf side coming out after she had been in danger in the Bayou, surpassing the more human side of him that wanted nothing to do with the mating bond.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"No, you are not," Klaus said firmly, "it's too dangerous. Marcel's men will be out sniffing around - looking for any suspicious parties. Two witches in the middle of wolf country seems a bit questionable."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Make that two witches and a werewolf," Nina piped in as she poked her head around the corner. "You need a good nose, and that one isn't going to help." She gestured to Klaus.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"That's the second time in a day that you've tried to tell me what to do," Wren snapped at her mate. "Don't make a third." She looked at Sophie. "I'll meet you in the graveyard in an hour?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Sophie nodded.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sighed as she pulled her camouflage overalls over her bare legs. They were snug around her soft thighs and butt. She let the straps dangle as she dug in her closet for a simple shirt.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Get out," she spoke without turning around as she felt his presence enter the room.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"No."