𝕍𝕀

6 | a golden cage

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀TRUE TO HIS WORD, ELIJAH WAS HELPING WREN MOVE INTO THE MANSION BY THE END OF THE WEEK

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀TRUE TO HIS WORD, ELIJAH WAS HELPING WREN MOVE INTO THE MANSION BY THE END OF THE WEEK. HE HAD COMPELLED MEN TO GO TO HER HOUSE AND RETRIEVE  THE REST OF HER BELONGINGS, and even delivered a note to her family after she had told him she had not wished to return.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren was, for the most part, content with the way things were going. She hadn't seen much of Klaus since the first time they'd met. He'd been busy trying to cement Marcel's trust. The meeting with her sister calmed her somewhat. It was nice to know she had someone on her side.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The vampire led her into a lavish room, fit with a king-sized antique bed and a lush carpet that was soft to the touch. Her things lay on her bed ━ phone, laptop, car keys. Flowers sat on either side of the bed, on top of matching end tables.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her bed was covered by a plush white comforter that was cold to the touch. Fluffy pillows sat against the headboard.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The room was beautiful.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I had thought that you may want to decorate it yourself, so it is rather plain. I expect you will give it your own personal touch over time." Elijah walked over to a window, drawing the blinds back to allow the sunshine in.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"This is perfect, Elijah, thank you." Wren gave him a smile.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He eyed her thoughtfully for a moment. "In all this time, has anyone asked you how you feel about all of this?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sighed under her breath. "Considering my family were the ones who sold me to the French Quarter witches, no. No one has cared enough to ask. They look at me and see a pawn. My sister is the only one I've spoken to since it all went down."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"And what do you feel? Right now."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Right now?" Wren sat down at the foot of the bed. "Tired." Scared. "Like I want this all to be over ━ and yet it has barely begun."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Our time here should not be long, soon we may leave this city behind." Elijah walked toward Wren, standing a few feet away with her. "Despite our business in the quarter, despite the enemies that we may make, never doubt that you will be protected. You are important to this family, and I will not see your destruction as a means to an end. You have my word."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"And the noble Elijah always keeps his word." Klaus appeared in the doorway, his arms crossed over his chest. His lip was quirked up at the corner, but his eyes were watching his brother closely.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Is it done?" Elijah asked, turning toward his brother.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"As a matter of fact, yes. Your underhanded deal worked quite well." Klaus smirked and walked further into the room. "Marcel was only too happy to accept my blood ━ even as he accepted my heartfelt apologies. His man, Thierry, yet lives and I remain a welcome guest in the French Quarter." He uncrossed his arms. "My only concern now is this coven of impudent witches."