𝕏𝕀𝕍

14 | bayou rescue missons

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN STUMBLED THROUGH THE DARK, DAMP WOODS

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN STUMBLED THROUGH THE DARK, DAMP WOODS. HER UNCOVERED LEGS WERE LITTERED IN CUTS AND SCRAPES FROM EXPOSED BRANCHES, and her hair had begun to fall out of its tight bun.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Nina!" she yelled as she looked around frantically. Her very human eyes couldn't see much, but she knew her friend would be able to see and hear more. "Nina, where are you?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Silence - absolute silence.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She arrived at the clinic to see two abandoned cars and two people inside. Agnes - a witch from the French Quarter - and a very-much-unconscious doctor.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Where is she?" Wren snapped at Agnes as she stepped over the doctor's body. "Where is Nina?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Agnes smirked and shook her head. "I don't know who that is."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You know exactly who that is, Agnes!" Wren yelled, clenching her fists. "What did you do to her?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"None of this would've happened if you would've followed our instructions."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Another woman stepped out from the back. This one bore a striking resemblance to Wren.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Mom?" Wren breathed. Tears welled into her eyes. "What did you do?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I instructed you to distract that mutt. You failed. These are the consequences." Valeriya stood a bit straighter. Her cold eyes watched her daughter calculatingly. "Had you not been so arrogant, little Nina could've lived. But instead you allowed that beast to do exactly what I thought he would do - betray us. Because of him - because of you - that witch is now dead."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'll do anything you want, Mom, just please tell me where she is!" Wren was practically begging at this point. Her lips trembled. Her fingernails dug into her palms as she clenched her fists harder. "Nina had nothing to do with this!"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Inconsequential."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What do you want from me? Do you want me to beg, to grovel at your feet? Fine. Just let her live."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Valeriya smirked. "No daughter of mine will ever bow to another being. All you must do is follow my instructions, and the girl lives."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren panted as she turned around again. Tears streamed down her face. "Nina!" she screamed.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A howl sounded from her left. Flinching, she turned to the sound. Moonlight streamed through the trees, lighting her snow-white skin.