「xxxviii」

38 | a perfect evening

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀KLAUS SMIRKED BEHIND HIS GLASS OF WINE AS HIS MATE LOOKED EAGERLY OVER THE MENU, her face dropping each time she found a price in the triple digits. "I told you already, love, order whatever you want."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sighed slightly, shaking her head as she placed the menu down. "It's too much, Nik."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm a thousand years old, love. I've enough funds for one dinner with my soul mate." He glanced at her, refraining from gritting his teeth as he watched another man's gaze snap away from where it had been resting on her chest.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her fingers moved across the table to grab his free hand. "I'm sorry, you're right." She picked up her menu, flagging the waiter down again. When she opened it, she realized that the names of most of the courses were in french and she had no idea how to pronounce them. She looked to Klaus helplessly.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus smiled a bit. "Which one is it, love?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren pointed to a beautiful picture of a plate spread that was covered in seafood - scallops, caviar, salmon, crab legs. It was mouthwatering.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Nik nodded and looked up to the waiter, expertly ordering. His gravelly voice held the language perfectly.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren handed the menu to the waiter with a smile, practically grinning from ear to ear. She was excited to try the seafood. It was her favorite, though her mother rarely allowed her to have it.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Nik squeezed her hand, raising it to his mouth to press a warm kiss to her fingers. Her little hands were cold in his grip. "Are you cold, darling?" His eyebrows furrowed in concern.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren nodded slightly, suppressing a shiver as a draft of air swept over her upper arms. She was wearing a sleeveless red dress, and she was beginning to see that it was a mistake. The dress was beautiful, though, so she wouldn't complain.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus stripped off his dress jacket and stood, draping it over her shoulders.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren smiled up at him, blushing slightly. It was a thoughtful gesture. "Thank you." The jacket smelled like him - like the woods and campfire smoke and sex.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"After we are finished eating we have a private tour of the Lourve waiting for us, and then we will head to the hotel."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Wait, but you didn't order anything." Wren's eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus smirked darkly. "I have other things on my mind that I can eat."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It didn't take long at all for Wren's food to arrive, and when it did, she nearly swooned. Plate after plate was brought to the table and laid out in front of her. Every bit of seafood she ever tried or ever wanted to try was soon in her reach.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She had to refrain from drooling. Her wide, awe-filled eyes sparkled.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus watched her as she ate, watched the joy sparkling in her eyes every time she found something she liked. It made him happy to know that she was happy and content. He kept his hand on her thigh under the table the whole time, deciding to let her have her hand back.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As she was digging into yet another plate of seared scallops, an elderly couple walked by. They held hands, bright eyes radiant with love. The woman stopped, smiling brightly as she observed the adoring gaze on Klaus' face.