「xxxv」

35 | the pillars of history

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN WAS CONFUSED. THEY WERE PARKED outside of a restaurant, in a town she hadn't even seen the greeting sign for.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Peering out the window, she read aloud, "Mystic Grill." Her eyebrows furrowed. "Where are we?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"My hometown. I thought you might like to see my place of origin. The place where I first saw you." Klaus got out of the car, rounding her side in a flash to let open her door for her. "Don't worry, darling. We won't be staying, I'm only stopping to sort out some unfinished business and then we'll be on our way."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Wait," Wren put two and two together. "Mystic Falls... Rebekah mentioned this place to me. She said you had a lot of enemies here."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"None that would dare lay a hand on you." Klaus brushed his hand against her waist. He could still smell her arousal.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Sighing, Wren moved closer to him. "I need to change," she muttered, leaning her head against his chest. "I smell like road trip and sex." The last part brought a blush to her cheeks.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Your bags are in the trunk." He handed her the car keys. "I'll go order us some drinks while you get suited."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren kissed him on the cheek. "White Russian, neat." She rounded the side of her beautiful new car with bright smile on her face. She was practically bouncing on her feet as she opened the back door and pulled her suitcase forward to grab a simple outfit - high waisted dress pants with a white blouse and a pair of white stilettos.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She tucked the outfit into a smaller bag and slung it over her shoulder, heading inside and following the signs to the bathroom. She entered, glad it was empty. Heading for a stall, she stripped off her long-sleeved t-shirt and leggings, beginning to pull on her change of clothes.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The bathroom door opened, rushed footsteps heading inside. "I just saw Klaus," a hurried voice whisper-shouted into the phone. "He's supposed to be in Louisiana, right? Why the hell is he back here?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren's eyebrows furrowed. How did this person know Klaus? And why did she sound so annoyed? Slipping on her heels, Wren undid the bathroom door and walked out, heading for the sink. She put her bag up on the counter, tucking her shirt into her pants.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The girl, who was now looking directly at Wren through the mirror, continued talking. She went on and on about how he was probably here trying to get into her pants, and how she was going to give him a piece of her mind.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren smirked and undid her hair, letting her long pale locks fall down to her butt in waves. It looked surprisingly good considering she had slept on it in the car.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Putting on some chapstick, she headed out of the bathroom and went straight for her mate.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"There's a blonde in the bathroom talking about you," she informed him as she found him sitting at a table with two menus. He had been looking them over intently when she arrived. "Sounds pretty pissed."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus looked up from his menu, momentarily doing a double-take. She looked beautiful. "You look ravishing, darling." His eyes trailed down, eyeing her chest and the top few buttons on her blouse that she hadn't clasped.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Did you hear me?" Wren placed her bag in the seat next to her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Of course I heard you love, but I have no interest in Caroline's petty remarks. She has no idea why I'm here, even though she may think she does." Klaus' eyes returned to his menu.