「xxxii」

32 | the harvest ritual

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀REBEKAH BURST THROUGH THE DOOR, eyes wide and breathing heavy. "Davina is gone!" she choked out.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What?" Wren threw down the spellbook she had been studying. "When? How?" Her lips parted anxiously.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Bloody- Bloody Marcel!" Rebekah threw her hands up in the air. She paced the room, fingers curling.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Where's Elijah?" Wren stood, pulling on a pair of boots.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Helping Sophie track down an unconsecrated elder so that she can get the power needed to perform the ritual." Rebekah put a hand to her forehead. "He's getting Sabine to do a locator spell on Davina, but I doubt it'll work."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Well, consider the first part done." Wren stood up straight, yanking a jacket on. "I know where he can find an elder."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"My great-grandmother. She's buried in an unmarked grave outside of town. A vampire killed her a hundred years ago, but I got into my mother's journals - turns out she found her. Or what was left of her, anyway." Wren pulled out her phone, sending Elijah an address.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You're sure?" Rebekah eyed her. "This is your family we are talking about, Wren."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I've had enough of family to last me a lifetime." Wren sighed, pulling her necklace around her throat and clasping it. "Come on, let's find Davina before it's too late." She pulled the blonde original out the door with her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Visily stood over the grave, looking down at it with tawny eyes. Her arms remained crossed over her chest. The thick sweater she had on did little to warm her thin frame. The wind was getting worse.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was the harvest ritual, she knew it. Everyone even close to witches knew it. The town was going to be returned to the dirt because of Marcel Gerard. She closed her eyes, looking around the field. Wren would find a way.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Excuse me." A man appeared out of nowhere. "It appears Svetlana is a person of interest on this wonderful evening we're having. I only recently had to chase away another of your kin that seemed hell-bent on retrieving her."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I guess that means Wren sold out Great-Grandma dearest." Visily gave a small smile. "I came here to see if the rumors were true. If she really was buried here." She waved a hand over the dirt, making it begin to run from the grave like water. Soon a rotted coffin revealed itself, their family crest carved into the front, along with "WITCH."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Elijah shifted his feet at the sight. He had always had good relationships with witches, and did not wish to see them come to harm. They were powerful allies.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Classy." Visily gave an unimpressed eye-roll and turned away from the sight. "All yours."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Just like that?"