𝕏𝕏𝕀

21 | the betrayal of one

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"ELIJAH," WREN GASPED IN SHOCK, looking up at the Original with wide eyes

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"ELIJAH," WREN GASPED IN SHOCK, looking up at the Original with wide eyes. No sooner than a smile had crept onto his face was he torn away, slammed against a tree by a snarling Hybrid.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I thought you two were in danger," Elijah said to Nina, "it appears I was mistaken." A smirk flickered across his lips as her fangs retracted.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Nina stepped away from him without a word.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Elijah watched the former werewolf for a moment. "I expect an explanation, but for now let's get you two home." He went to set his hand on the upper part of Wren's back to lead her from the woods, only to have her shake her head.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"We need to find Klaus before they get any more of his blood," Wren said quickly, "they'll make more Hybrids, Elijah."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Who?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren's face tightened. She wouldn't answer. Opening and closing her mouth like a fish, she struggled to find an excuse.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You want to go back to Klaus after what we just learned?" Nina cut in, looking at her in shock. "For all we know, he's in league with your mother! Think about it, Wren. What benefits Klaus more - a soulmate? Or an army?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren watched her in disbelief. "Niklaus is my mate, he wouldn't use me as a human bloodbag."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"From where I'm standing that looks like exactly what he's going to do. Your bond is nothing compared to the advantage he would have with an army." Nina took a couple steps toward her. "And that Tyler kid, he was one of Klaus' first victims. I heard his story - Klaus turned him into a Hybrid without giving him a choice in the matter, and then when he broke free of the sire bond, Klaus killed his whole pack and his mother!"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You don't have a mate, Nina, you don't know what it feels like." Wren rolled her eyes. "He wouldn't use me for Hybrids. I know that for a fact."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Nina's face had tightened, hurt shining in her eyes. "Do you?" She looked away, blinking quickly. "Let's go, we need to find him before it gets dark out and the other wolves come out to play."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sighed, regret coursing through her as she watched the Hybrid move through the woods. Elijah followed her, but not before squeezing Wren's bicep for comfort.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Brushing her own tears away, Wren followed.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As they neared the camp, Wren couldn't help but let her thoughts get to her. It would make sense. He had come to New Orleans to conquer the city from his former protegee - an army would not only give him a tremendous advantage, but it would also give him everything he ever wanted.