𝕀𝕏

9 | beautiful creatures

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN WATCHED ON WITH SOME SORT OF INTRUIGED HORROR AS THE VAMPIRES DESCENDED UPON THE HUMANS OF THE PARTY ━ screams and growls ringing out around the courtyard.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"This is how I keep my guys happy," Marcel grinned, "the occasional all-you-can-eat buffet." He looked over at Klaus, who had a smirk on his face. "My nightwalkers love it ━ got 'em working hard trying to earn one of these daylight rings." He flashed a lapis lazuli ring. "They deserve to blow off a little steam."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren gripped the railing tighter. "You invite us here as friends, welcome these people here with the promise of music and memories ━ and then you massacre them?" She looked offended ━ appalled, even.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Relax, sweetheart ━ we don't kill them all. We just heal 'em with a little vamp blood and send them on their way. No muss, no fuss." Marcel smirked at her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren's lip curled. Her eyes flickered to the self-proclaimed King, something dangerous shining in them. "Yes, well I'm sure the humans see it the same way you do." She gave a wry smile.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I got them right where I want them." Marcel eyed her. "With full pockets and tight lips."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What about the victims?" Klaus cut in. "Seems like a lot of graves to dig."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Can't kill 'em all," Marcel answered, smirking toward Wren, "too many bodies ━ tourism drops. Can't have that, can we?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"No," Wren answered in a curiously calm voice, "we can't."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The blonde witch was slipping a nightgown over her figure when a knock came from her doorway. She sighed before calling, "Come in!"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The door creaked open, revealing Niklaus ━ still in his black button up and pants.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She looked away, grabbing a hairbrush off of her vanity and beginning to pull it through her locks. "What is it, Niklaus? I'm tired." She pulled her hair up into a tight bun.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm going out to the pub with Marcel in the morning. Rebekah will be here, so you can rest assured on your safety." He shifted on his feet, eyeing her closely. "The house will be moved over into your name by the end of the week."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren set to work on pulling the covers back on her bed so she could lay down. "Yes, ━ because I feel so safe with another  vampire watching over me." She kicked her slippers off, climbing into the bed. "I think I'd prefer being alone. If the witches want to kill me, let them try." She sighed loudly. "This heat might end me first though."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I assure you, love, anyone who attempts to harm you will meet a swift and quite inescapable end." Klaus' voice had lowered dangerously.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren lay back against her pillows, studying Klaus. "This whole thing with Marcel," she started, narrowing her eyes on his face as his jaw tightened, "it's obvious that you two have a history. Why do you want to take him down so badly?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Niklaus stood at the end of the bed, looking down at her with an unreadable expression. "I made him everything that he is. I took him in, treated him like a son. Yet when my father chased me and my siblings from New Orleans a hundred years ago ━ we believed him to be dead ━ we each mourned him in our own way.